When to add corn sugar and still be able to know original and final gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coolhand78

Reaction score
Hey everyone - I'm still somewhat new at this, so please bear with me. This is a question I've seen asked a few different ways, but I've never quite heard this answer.

I have a cream stout extract kit that I'm going to bump up the ABV by adding a pound of corn sugar. I'm debating when to add the sugar - 5 minutes left in the boil, or approx 3 days into fermentation.

My instinct is to add it 3 days into the fermentation so the yeast have some simple sugars to chow on after they've had a while to get through some of the more complex sugars. HOWEVER: if I do this, my original gravity reading taken right before pitching the yeast would not be inaccurate, correct? How would I ever know how to calculate the final ABV? Is there some way around this? Does 1lb of dextrose add a specific number of gravity points?

Alternatively, I could add the corn sugar when I have 5 minutes left on the boil - that way I'd have an accurate og measurement. However, my concerns here are affecting the flavor and hop utilization, and also making the yeast lazy because they will have plenty of simple sugar to consume right at the start of fermentation.

Things I understand and am not concerned about are how adding the corn sugar will affect the body and mouth-feel of the beer, as well as only slight changes in flavor.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

The sugar is going to dry it out. Not really an attribute I would be looking for from a stout. Instead, I would be more inclined to add malt to increase gravity. You are correct that adding sugar during fermentation will make gravity confusing. If you do choose to add sugar, I would add it prior to pitching - like the last part of the boil (5mins).

definitely add during boil. It will sanitize the sugar. That being said, to add abv add dry malt extract toward the end of the boil so it keeps you stout from ending too dry

definitely add during boil. It will sanitize the sugar. That being said, to add abv add dry malt extract toward the end of the boil so it keeps you stout from ending too dry

+1 Right on bro!

Back