What the F*ck was that? Growler Bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dzamba

Reaction score
I had a few growlers in my bedroom and one of them expolded a few feet away from me this morning in my sleep. The worst part is I don't know why. The FG was on target @ 1.013. I quickly put all the remaining bottles from the batch in the fridge. Now I'm gonna lie down and try to stop shaking.

+1 It may seem like a good way to save yourself some time bottling but growlers can't take the pressure. They also may not carbonate properly because the cap won't always seal properly. They are really designed for short term storage of already carbonated beer.

Your beer may have indeed been ready for bottling but the growler just could not take the pressure. Or if you got some bugs in there... BOOM

You want some big bottles get some champagne bottles. They are not as big but they will hold pressure. You can get a bunch free if you go to a caterer or hotel sometimes. When they have an event (wedding...) they will have a bunch of bottles to dispose of. I got a couple of cases of really cool brown glass champagne bottles that had an etched coating and look black when at a friends wedding. :D

If you look at the bottom of a Champagne bottle it is an inverted cone. This is to help deal with the pressure. A Growler has a larger surface area on the bottom and makes no attempt to fight the pressure.

If your intent is to minimize bottling, 2L plastic bottle are a much better idea. Growlers are really designed for holding partially de-carbonated beer for short periods.

I had no idea. I don't think I will make that mistake again. What about the big ones with the pewter handles and the grolsh style top?

I had no idea. I don't think I will make that mistake again. What about the big ones with the pewter handles and the grolsh style top?

Do you really want to chance it? Or better yet do it and stare at the top of the lid, kinda like looking down the barrel of a gun.;)

Those ones w/ pewter handle and flip-top r ok from what I have heard.... EXPENSIVE though. Do a google on pressure rated growler.

Another "Don't Bottle in a Growler" thread to add to the canon....along with the "Growler Go Boom" "Growler Bomb" and "Don't bottle your beer in a growler" threads already on here.

Sorry about the beer, and glad no one was hurt.

Those growlers are oversized flip top bottles and can be used to bottle your beer. However they are very very expensive compare to any other alternatives I have seen. 2l container for $25-$30.

Used Champagne can be had for free. American sparkling wine bottles use standard crown caps. French Champagne bottles use a larger sized cap. You will have to get a larger replacement cup for your capper to cap these bottles. I got a bench capper with both sized cups so I can cap just about anything.

Also they make magnum champagne bottles that hold 1.5l. And though rare they make several bottles much larger. Not sure how you would cap these as the bench cappers I have seen do not move high enough for an oversized champagne bottle.

Craig

Defiant in Pearl River, NY sells the 2L ones at a reasonable price. I think I'll go stop by and pick up a few more of those bad boys. Thanks, Revy. Ya live, ya learn.

6 for $55 isn't that bad. Hell, the ones AHS have are freakin $30 apiece. The AHS ones are a lot nicer, though.

Way too expensive for a bottler, but it would be handy to have a few around if you keg.

hmmmm... usually growlers are handy for yeast cultivation and storing. cant say ive tried the carb bomb, nor wanted to.

I buy the Grolsch top growlers, from Sweetwater Tavern(s) in Virginia. They are filled with beer, and cost $14 bucks. If you bring it back, you can get a refill for $7.

They look an awful lot lot like the ones Midwest sells for $25 bucks a piece. I am going to use them for yeast starters, as my airlock/bung fit perfectly.

I wouldn't mind bottling some beer in them, but I question whether they can handle it.

Picture of Sweetwater growler

Thoughts?

Just read this thread an am now a bit concerned. "Growlers" are 22 oz. brown bottles that look just like regular old beer bottles, only bigger. Right? Last weekend I bottled almost an entire batch of Scotch Ale in these. Should I be worried? What can or should I do about this? Anything?

Just read this thread an am now a bit concerned. "Growlers" are 22 oz. brown bottles that look just like regular old beer bottles, only bigger. Right? Last weekend I bottled almost an entire batch of Scotch Ale in these. Should I be worried? What can or should I do about this? Anything?

no that is a bomber, you are fine...this is a growler...it holds a half gallon of microbew from the pub...people thing becasue it holds beer that you can bottle in it...they don't reliaze that beer served from a tap into one of these has less pressure than beer duiring bottle carbing.

146460795_33fee11eca.jpg

gmds123: nice! GREAT price. Too bad I don't want any kits. :(

The 6 for $55 ones are really sweet looking, thanks for the link. I want some, but they're out of stock.

yeah, I use 32oz swing tops almost exclusively. Half the size of a growler, but hey.. they are still pretty big and they are made for bottle conditioning.

I'm about to bottle a AHS BECK'S CLONE in 3 of the 'growlers' from William's. That's almost a 'six-pack' in each one. I just fill it right out of the bottling bucket. These suckers are thick and heavy. I think if one these were going to blow, the gasket would vent.

With shipping the price works out to be about $13-14 a piece; about half the price of those big fancy flip-top growlers.

Yes. Those ones.

A good sound is when you 'pop' one of these. The mass and heft resonates with a good harty 'pop'. The rounded body makes it easy to pour a glass on the edge of the counter making a nice stable and controlled pour.

This is good in that if you've bottled a 'stiff' ale and want consume the whole thing at a 'sitting'.

Back