What do you guys think of this ale recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodbyebluesky82

Reaction score
Scottish Amber Ale

5# Amber DME
1/2 cup Chocolate Malt
1/2 cup Scottish Peated Malt
2 cups Victory Malt
3/4 oz Kent Goldings pellets @ 60 minutes
1/2 oz. Kent Goldings plug @ 2 minutes
Safale S-04 yeast

My question is, how would you judge this recipe? Does it look like enough hops to hang with the specialty grains? How would you improve this recipe without changing the style as well as keeping with dry yeast?

Scottish Amber Ale

5# Amber DME
1/2 cup Chocolate Malt
1/2 cup Scottish Peated Malt
2 cups Victory Malt
3/4 oz Kent Goldings pellets @ 60 minutes
1/2 oz. Kent Goldings plug @ 2 minutes
Safale S-04 yeast

My question is, how would you judge this recipe? Does it look like enough hops to hang with the specialty grains? How would you improve this recipe without changing the style as well as keeping with dry yeast?

How does the cup measurement translate into weight? Most recipes that I see with those grains max out about 4oz and the usual is 2oz so I would be careful not to use too much. Also 8oz of Cara Pils could be to the recipes benefit for some extra body.

I don't think its possible to convert volume to mass....... the grains would have to actually be weighed, and my LHBS uses volume instead for some reason in their kit's recipe list.

I've already made this recipe, and have my own opinion on it..... I wanted some people's first impression of the recipe itself. I suspect the amount of peated malt is too high for this recipe, and possibly the choc malt as well.

Interesting suggestion on the Cara Pils, because I think this brew could have used a bit more "body". In the future I think I will be buying kits from my LHBS but augmenting their grain choices......

Personally, there is no room in Scottish ales for peated malt. Someone, somewhere, confused Scotch whiskey with Scottish ale - stupid, I know, because even my tin tongue can taste the difference - and thus peated malt began to creep into homebrew.

I don't even think I'd add CaraPils. I'd just cut the peated malt (shudder) and call it a day. Read Noonan's Scotch Ale for a deep insight into the style (and substyles).

Cheers,

Bob

Back