What To Do With an Expired Can of Hopped Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkyl428

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't normally brew extract but I bought a Mr.Beer Kit off Craigslist for $15 so I can do small 2 gallon test batches in it from time to time. The kit had not been used and still had the can of hopped extract in it and a bag of booster? The extract is a pale ale & the can expired last month I asked the guy how long he had it he said about 2 years.

Is there any use for this other than maybe starters? I was thinking about maybe getting some specialty grains & some yeast & using it. I have read that old extract will be darker & I'm sure the hops may have faded maybe get some chocolate malt & roasted barley & add a bit of DME & turn it into a stout?

What about the booster? I'm not sure what it even is dextrine maybe? Is there a use for that or should I just use the extract for starters & toss the booster?

If its in a can, brew it up. Hops act as a natural preservative and expirations are more of "best by" dates that the manufacturer feels they can sell the product and still have a reasonable shelf life at the customer's home. An example would be milk. You still have 7 days after the printed date to use your carton of milk (assuming proper storage and handling).

I do not know the cooking instructions for Mr. Beer but make sure you still go a full boil, don't cut it short, just in case you do find extra organisms lurking in your expired can, you wouldn't want to get sick.

Enjoy!

If the can is only expired a month I'd just go ahead and use it as if it was new (maybe consider buying new yeast). Not so sure about the booster pack. However this might be a good time to try partial mashing. Take a look at this:

Last edited by a moderator:
If the can is only expired a month I'd just go ahead and use it as if it was new (maybe consider buying new yeast). Not so sure about the booster pack. However this might be a good time to try partial mashing. Take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDqnFPgpb-0

Yeah that's a good vid I watched it a while ago, they touch on the booster, but don't use it I may just throw it away.

I normally do 5 gallon AG so a PM is totally do able..
I was already planning on new yeast, I'm sure the yeast with it was at room temp for years & Mr. Beer yeast sux anyway...

I'm just not sure the effects of stale extract & if it is worth my time

@cannman
I have read you don't want to boil hopped LME although I don't remember why something to do with throwing off bitterness I think?
I'm guessing it might add bitterness? any experience with this?

Although the hops have probably faded by now so IDK if this has become a non issue

Pre-hopped extracts will throw more bittering if boiled. I add'em at flame out to preserve the hop flavors & intended color.

Taste the extract and if it tastes fine do it up with some fresh yeast. I have been given similar kits which were well over a year past the best before date. They all tasted fine. The worst that could happen is you are out an hour of your time and some yeast.

Back