What to do (at 10 days in primary)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSmurf78

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm currently at 10 days with a stout in the primary. I took the first hydro reading since I brewed this up, and I'm not sure what to do.

SG: 1.096
Reading tonight 1.030

Here's the recipe:
% LB OZ
39% 6 0 Dark Dry Malt Extract
39% 6 0 Dark Malt Extract Syrup
6% 1 0 Chocolate Malt
4% 0 9 Roasted Barley
3% 0 8 American Six-row Pale
3% 0 8 American Crystal 60L
3% 0 8 Pilsner Malt
2% 0 4 American Black Roast
2% 0 4 Flaked Oats

Yeast used: Wyeast American Ale

Based on the hopville calc, my starting graviting should have been closer to 1.103 and a finishing gravity somewhere between 1.023 to 1.028

So it looks like I'm short on either side. I did end up with a little too much though, probably closer to 5.5-5.75 gallons.

I was hoping to move it to a secondary this weekend, which would put it at 14 days in the primary. Now, I'm not sure if I should, or if I should leave it on the yeast cake.

Do you guys think that another week or two will buy much more?

BTW, it tasted pretty darn good. This was my first full boil. Overall, it reminds me of Yeti, and I bet it'll get even better once the oak chips soaked in makers mark goes in. :)

Looks pretty well on track! That's a "big" beer, so I would wait until next weekend to transfer it to secondary, if you can. You're at 67% attenuation, so you should get a few more points out of that yeast. I think three weeks in the primary is better for a beer that is almost at an OG of 1.100!

My tripel was within target FG. after a MONTH in primary with a OG very near yours, and that was pitched onto a healthy yeast cake. I transferred to secondary and kicked up some yeast. Another month later it was spot on. Ten days, IMO, is not long enough. Those yeasts are doing their best, but you're asking a lot of them. Give 'em a little longer.

Your recipe looks sexy, BTW

Back