Weird spots on beer. Mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fultonhopper

Reaction score
This batch has been sitting in my secondary for about a week. Recently, these white spots have appeared on the surface of it and on the hops bag. I haven't seen anything like it before. The beer smells fine, and I drank some of it yesterday and am still alive. Does anyone know what's going on with my beer?

PhotoView.jsp

Click here if you can't see the image.

I cant tell from the pic because I can't zoom it, but from that pic it looks normal to me...(but I do like how you can get that pic on a t-shirt and coffee mug!)

I've had beers go active in secondary, and flotsom gets kicked up from the bottom...it usua;;y settles back down.

Thanks for the advice. I ordered the t-shirt yesterday for me and my wife (just kidding). Actually, I went ahead and kegged the batch, and it has been fine. Once carbonated, I drank it in excecss (for experimental purposes), it tasted great and the results I experienced were not out of the ordinary.

I think this looks ok from what I can see.

Off topic also, but I dry hop my beer the exact same way. Has anyone ever considered putting a well cleaned stainless steel table knife in the hop bag so that the bag will be more submerged in the beer?

When I have dry hopped, I notice about half the hops are sitting above the level of the beer, I figure submerging them completely might give more flavor.

Back