Two kinds of Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can, and there are some commercial "blends" IIRC. But, it is likely that one would predominate over the other. So, if there is a flavor profile associated with the yeasts you would not be sure which you would get.

well I was attempting my own recipe and I bought a yeast that needed three hours to activate (belgian strong yeast) and I couldn't use it cause I forgot to activate it! So I used a different yeast and I am not sure if it will be aggressive enough.

If I check it after 10 days and the FG isn't where I want it to be (OG was 1.099) should I pitch it?

In that case i'd buy another pack and throw that in. but don't wait, do it now.

Something with an OG that high u wanna use either a proper starter or multiple packs of yeast.

so I should get another pack of the non activated one and put it in?

i'd activate it and then pitch it. They only need a few hours to get the bag to swell.

U wanna get more yeast in there to work on the sugars, otherwise the low count that did get pitched into the wort will stress very easily and could start contributing off flavors and phenols.

What strain yeast are u using? If its the belgian abbey, thats a very slow mover, i'd activate, wait say 4 hours and then pitch. it won't swell much in that time period at all.

Check out mrmalty.com . It suggests 1.7 packs of 11 gram dry yeast. If you are using liquid yeast it calls for 4.1 packages it the yeast is about 2 weeks old.

I would get more of the same yeast and pitch it asap.

Experimentation is the beauty of homebrewing! I brewed a hefe recently, couldn't decide whether to use WLP300 or 3068... so i pitched them both. The keg should be carbed in another week or so and i'll see how it turned out. Of course I kept the yeast to reuse in case it comes out great!

Back