Stout Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fayderek14

Reaction score
So I switched my stout into the secondary fermenter last Thursday night. We measured the gravity at 1.024 at 62 degrees. We were hoping to bottle the stout Thursday or Friday. What should my gravity be down to now?

After you transfer to the secondary, my guess is that your fermentation will be quite minimal after taking it off of the yeast cake. what FG are you shooting for? And just make sure fermentation has stopped before bottling :)

So I switched my stout into the secondary fermenter last Thursday night. We measured the gravity at 1.024 at 62 degrees. We were hoping to bottle the stout Thursday or Friday. What should my gravity be down to now?

Impossible to know without seeing your recipe or what kit you used, though almost certainly lower than 1.024, unless you brewed a sweet stout or milk stout. Most recipes specify a target FG. How long was the beer in primary? What kind of yeast did you use?

Stout gravity can range from 1.007 for the low end of a dry stout to 1.030 for the high end of an imperial stout. What type of stout is it, and where did it start?

but regardless of where it is supposed to be according to the style guide, prime and bottle when fermentation had completed.

I dont have the recipe in front of me but it was a dry stout. The og was 1.054. We also added caramel sauce and vanilla beans for flavor.

Did you add any lactose to it? If so, how much?

I have a chocolate milk stout in the bucket right now that has a pound of lactose in it. My target FG (based on the recipe and the OG) is 1.021 (according to the Brewer's Friend calc) because the lactose doesn't ferment. Without the lactose, the target FG would be 1.014.

Edit- I just saw your post about the caramel sauce. I have no idea what % of that will ferment. Personally, I wouldn't want to use that in a stout, preferring to get my caramel flavors from grains.

I know we used about 6lbs of dark extract. Chocolate malt. Roasted barley. Malto dextrin powder. We used a danstar yeast and Columbus hops I believe. Sorry we brewed this one back on February 22 and have done 2 more brews since so I'm forgetting the exact ingredients.

That's just fine for a sweet stout. For a dry stout you are going to need to replace some extract with sugar or switch to all grain. Liquid or dry malt extract?

Back