Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Secondary, weird tastes, and flat beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2005, 09:56 PM   #11
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

No, I'm a Software Engineer, but I've been brewing off and on for over 30 years.

Oh, I forgot to mention it, but if you use the White Shield, don't forget to drink the decanted portion after you have added the airlock.

-a.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2005, 11:20 PM   #12
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Check to see if your local water supply has Chloramide or Chloramine in it. It's like chlorine but won't boil off.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 11-20-2005, 12:40 AM   #13
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

After a while all home brewers become part chemist, part farmer, part cook, part faex medicinalist, bottle washer, imbiber and babbler.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-20-2005, 12:45 AM   #14
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf
No, I'm a Software Engineer, but I've been brewing off and on for over 30 years.

Oh, I forgot to mention it, but if you use the White Shield, don't forget to drink the decanted portion after you have added the airlock.

-a.
I'm so glad you didn't reply with "No, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night."

(or whichever hotel has those commericials.)
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 11-20-2005, 08:41 AM   #15
Lost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

As others have said, using chlorinated water can result in a medicinal taste. Here in Tallahassee the water is so heavily chlorinated that we do not drink or cook with it. Cooking pasta in the water results in a dish that tastes like its fresh outta the pool.. ack. Anyhow, after using bottled water for sometime I decided to buy a filter after I started all grain brewing (I spent almost as much on water as I did on the grains). I've got an aquasana and it does a very good job of removing any chlorine taste and it meets a bunch of fancy california standards for water filtration and whatnot. I imagine a brita or pur water filter would also do the trick at a much cheaper price. The aquasana was about $100 and the replacement filters (500 to 1,000 gal per filter) are about 45$. When you do the math that makes water 10 cents a gallon. Anyhow, if the water is the cause of the medicinal taste you should probably get some sort of water filter.

As for the carbonation, you should use at least 3/4 of a cup (5 oz if you have a scale) of priming sugar (more if you're using malt extract) per 5 gallons. Make sure you distribute the sugar evenly.. stir the sugar solution into the bottling bucket and restir every so often. Make sure the bottles are sealed well.. if you are using twistoff bottles then they sometimes do not seal.. pop tops are a better bet. Lastly, make sure the bottles are left in a warm location (i.e. above 70) so that they can carbonate in two weeks time. At cooler temps the beer will take longer to carbonate.

On a side note, if anyone ever asks you to play a game called "anchor".. don't, it'll get you loaded faster than beer pong. Miller lite.. ack.. anyhow, I hope this helps. Don't give up just yet, these guys are pretty knowlegeable and will get your brewing straightened out.

Old 11-30-2005, 09:33 PM   #16
rhinostylee
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny's Brew
Check to see if your local water supply has Chloramide or Chloramine in it. It's like chlorine but won't boil off.

Does anyone know if Los Angeles water has these chemicals? I've brewed 2 batches that taste medicinal and it's really frustrating.
Secondary #1: American Brown Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Irish Dry Stout
Bottled/Drinking: Store Bought Beer

Old 11-30-2005, 09:36 PM   #17
rhinostylee
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinostylee
Does anyone know if Los Angeles water has these chemicals? I've brewed 2 batches that taste medicinal and it's really frustrating.
Just found it online . . . LA uses chloramine. Thanks for the heads up! Maybe this next batch will turn out for once.
Secondary #1: American Brown Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Irish Dry Stout
Bottled/Drinking: Store Bought Beer

Old 12-02-2005, 01:36 PM   #18
The Happy Mug

Recipes 

I have good water on tap, but I won't brew with anything but bottled water. At 65 cents a gallon, it's a drop in the pan for good beer. It's well worth the 4 bucks to not worry.

Allergy Warning: This post was made by a person who may be nuts

From the store: Nothing right now, how sad
Up Next: Thinking about an amber rye
Secondary: "Not as Pale as Death" pale ale (since april, man I hate bottling.)
In bottles: Lager than Life Beer, Rocky Raccoon Honey Lager, A nameless Imperial Stout (my first AG!)

Quick Reply