question about straining while brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheephrdr

Reaction score
Hi all just wondering what methods you guys use while brewing... somtimes I strain my wort after boiling/cooling into the primary, today I was lazy so I dumped the whole thing right in, spent hops etc. I havent realy noticed any real difference either way though I havent tried with the same brew...

any thoughts would be cool... o ya my hop flowers are blooming :) there are tons of them and its the first year.

I generally dump the whole thing in the primary - it's just easier.
So long as you rack it off the trub after a week or so, I don't think there's much difference. If you leave it, though, you'll get some off flavors.

I tried straining once and decided that is was not worth the effort. Some folks like to do it but in addition to being a nuisance, I saw no effect on the final product. It all gets dumped in and I just siphon carefully.

Use a grain bag and a super fine, nylon mesh hop bag. It really keeps the trub down.

Back