Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > In praise of WLP300

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
cuinrearview
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default In praise of WLP300

Just wanted to say how much I like this yeast, although I've yet to have a taste of the product it creates

First, I'll start with my recipe:

1/2 lb. Flaked wheat
1/2 lb. Cara-pils
6 lbs. wheat DME
1oz. Tradition for 60 min.
1oz. Tradition for 15 min.
Quart starter(my first) WLP300

Simple, I know, but the stuff just smells great!

I made the starter with light DME and I was worried that monkeys would invade my house as the bannana aroma was crazy!

Upon cooling and pitching I had more of the same(bannana aroma) less than 12 hours later and for about two days as the blowoff (also my first) bubbled like mad. The crazy thing is the krausen never got within an inch of the lid of my 6.5 gallon bucket. I guess the water bath with bottled ice cubes does work. It has stayed in the low 60's for six days with decreasing ice additions to the water bath. After three days I switched to an airlock, and the aroma quickly changed to a mix of sour/sulphur/clovey/peppery mix. It was pretty nasty smelling. The airlock has continued to slowly bubble the whole time, and I pulled the lid last night because I just couldn't stand it! There was a nasty looking creamy foam with hunks of what looks like yeast sitting on top! This stuff is crazy-nasty and I like it. I took a quick whiff before sealing it back up and found the bannana aroma that had been missing. It'll go to bottle on Memorial day or the day after, and the two weeks after that will be HELL waiting to sample.

I don't know if I'm just excited to break away from the simple american ales I've been brewing, or this stuff is just magic in a vial. I'm inspired to save some and have paid great attention to Berniebrewer's washing thread as I intend to try another new technique with this brew.

This is batch number five in my "homebrewing re-birth", and the next should be another wheat with peach (via the wife's request).

Two questions:

1)How much DME to carbonate this? I've always put in the 5oz. packets from the LHBS but I feel like this needs more carbonation and I have some extra DME to use.

2)Anyone recommend a good peach wheat extract recipe so that I can appease SWMBO and have something to drink on the lawnmower? I already bought 2oz. of strisselspalt for this and would like to use a dried yeast. I have the other 1/2 lbs. of cara-pils and flaked wheat mixed in a bag to use as well. I know I'm almost there, I guess I just need a wheat yeast reccomendation so that I can brew and wonder how to add the peach as this will be my first fruit addition.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 01:14 AM   #2
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 112 Posts

WLP300 is definitely my favorite hefeweizen yeast. i've been using WLP380 lately (HW IV) and found it to be quite pleasant as well, although i get more of an apricot flavor than a banana/clove.

i actually didn't have the best of luck using DME in my hefeweizen...it seems to take longer and never really worked as well as i'd hoped. i'd say that 5 oz of corn sugar may be a little short for a weizen, as they need a little more carbonation that most beers.

can't help ya on the peach, sorry.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 05-21-2008, 01:25 AM   #3
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Good info. to know about the DME for carbing hefes. I'll just do a little more than one pack of corn sugar and save the DME for starters and carbing beers that need some aging, like the IPA that I'm bottling this weekend along with this beer.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:30 AM   #4
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview View Post
Good info. to know about the DME for carbing hefes. I'll just do a little more than one pack of corn sugar and save the DME for starters and carbing beers that need some aging, like the IPA that I'm bottling this weekend along with this beer.
3/4 cup corn sugar is perfect for 5 gallons. I used WLP300 for my hefe also and was amazed at the strong banana smell coming out of the airlock. I'll be bottling it tomorrow and can't wait until it's done.
On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Old 05-21-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Go here to play around with your carbonation numbers. Be aware, though, that if you get that carbonation up around the normal range for hefeweizens, you need sturdy bottles. You'll make bombs out of the thin glass ones.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 05-21-2008, 01:46 PM   #6
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I used to buy the Franziskaner Hefe bottles, unfortunately they started making thinner glass. I suppose they certainly handle the pressure, but are not the hefty bottles they once were . You want that high carbonation to set the Wheat out, it is one of the things that really makes it imo. Iirc, I have varied the amount of prime and 5.5 oz and 6.0 oz is about right in 5 gallons...but you have to be careful as you can easily overdo it and have a beer that takes 10 days to pour .

WLP300 is very good. I buy the Wyeast equivalents now, because I like the packaging much better. The 380 is my favorite yeast for a DunkelWeizen.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #7
Buford

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've never tried using 380, but 300 makes an excellent beer. I usually ferment 300 batches around high 60s to low 70s, and it comes out great.

FERMENTING: ---
KEGGED/IN STORAGE: ---
KEGGED/ON TAP: ---

DIY STUFF: Sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion

Old 05-21-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

300 is my fav as well, and If you use that Yeast Nutrient Capsul it really works well.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 05-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #9
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw View Post
Go here to play around with your carbonation numbers. Be aware, though, that if you get that carbonation up around the normal range for hefeweizens, you need sturdy bottles. You'll make bombs out of the thin glass ones.

TL
Thanks for posting this link, TexLaw. Am I missing something or do they not state how long to keep at the calculated pressure to achieve the desired CO2 volume? Is a period of 7 days assumed?

As to the OP, I've had great luck with WLP300 and will continue to use it in all of my hefe's.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:51 PM   #10
Dycokac
Recipes 

The weach beer I've had in the past is a peach wheat, though I can't find a clone recipe on the web just yet. I'd aim that way cause it's dang tasty, my wife even likes it.

Quick Reply