Pellet Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlkiBrewing

Reaction score
I've always used loose leaf hops however tomorrow I'm going to brew a batch (full volume boil) using pellet hops. Should I use a nylon/muslin bag like with the loose leaf or just dump them in? Thanks!

Terry

If you have a bag, I'd use it. Otherwise, just try to siphon around them if you siphon from your boiling kettle.
I put the pellet hops straight into my first brew and poured the whole thing onto my fermentor. The beer came out fine. I'm just picky about hops in the fermentor now. But basically, it'll be fine either way.
Some might say to avoid letting your hops get into your fermentor, that it may lead to a grassy flavor, but I don't think you'll get that unless you leave the beer in the fermentor for a long time (4+ months)

I use pellet hops exclusively and don't like the hop debris in my primary. I use a fine SS strainer as I pour it into the primary. It gets rid of the hop sediment and aerates my wort.

Cheers!

I like using a nylon bag with pellets for the boil and flameout. But when I dryhop, I just toss them straight in because the pellets eventually sink and I don't care to fish for the bag when it comes time to cleaning. No problems with clarity or excess trub. Just be careful not to shake the carboy and stir up the trub. I like to keep it at counter height, which prevents me from having to move it when it comes time to siphon.

First batch I tossed them in and poured it all into fermentor. Second batch I tossed them in and strained going into fermentor. Last batch I did I used the bag with the pellets. I like doing that better. A lot easier cleanup.

Back