OOPS!! Is my batch still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCmanBRewer

Reaction score
So this spring I brewed an Austin homebrew amber kit. It was supposed to be bottled mid April. Long story short I have put it off until now. Life got in the way just never got around to it. What are the odds the batch will carbonate? I'm not new to this but haven't ever left a batch in. The secondary this long. Additionally the airlock never ran dry. The Abv was supposed to turn out pretty high on this one as well. Just asking for some input. Any assistance would be great.

Chris

Pictures!!

image.jpg

If your sanitization was good the beer should be fine. It might carb up okay, but that's an awful long time for yeast to sit at room temperature in a high alcohol environment. It would be wise to pitch some yeast while bottling. All you need is a dash of dry yeast from a package.

Search my blog for ABV effects on yeast for details.

If the airlock was filled, the beer will be fine. Might find it is the best you have made to date.

I've left beers that long, and they carb up just fine. Sometimes they can take longer (maybe a few months) but they eventually get there. My general rule is if it less than 6 months, just go with it. Over 6 months and I add bottling yeast.

Back