Oktoberfest recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just made an easy one if you want to try it out. I can't speak for how great it is going to be because it's still in the primary fermenter... Here's what I used:

7 lbs unhopped light LME
1/2 lb dark crystal malt (steep at 155 for 30 mins)
1 cup Roasted Barley (steep at 155 for 30 mins)
1 ounce Glacier hops (60 mins)
1/2 ounce Amarillo hops (60 mins)
1/2 tsp irish moss (10 mins)
1/2 ounce amarillo hops (2 mins)
White Labs WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch Yeast (starter 24 hours prior)

I had a 2 gallon boil volume and sparged with 3 gallons of water in the primary fermenter. If you change this volume configuration, the hop config will need to change along with it...

This recipe is loosely based on the "Winky Dink Marzen" recipe in the 3rd ed of The Complete Joy of Home Brewing" by Charlie Papazian...

EDIT: hops were pellet... Oktoberfest is also traditionally a Lager, but I chose the ale route instead because I don't have the ability to keep a lager at good fermenting temps...

I was just formulating one earlier today:

7 lbs. Pale DME
½ lb. Munich Malt
½ lb. German Vienna
½ lb. Cara-Pils
1 oz Hallertauer
1 oz Tradition
1 oz Spalt
Y003 Saflager 23 (i'll be brewing without any cooling besides AC, so this is my only choice really)

3 Gallon Boil, etc...

I will more than likely make changes before the brew session for this guy (Sometime in the spring, most likely) but I was trying to keep it strictly German as much as possible. Any ideas anyone has are welcome...

Back