Low flavor and scent base malt extract.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscbert

Reaction score
I want to start experimenting with different specialty grains and would like to know what base malt would be a good non offensive one to use, so that i will really be able to taste and smell the specialty malt without base malt interference.

Also, what is a good low bitterness and low offensive hop?

same for yeast?

Basically, I want a boring beer that just has the flavor and aroma of the specialty malt, but i still want it to be drinkable beer.

i get what your trying to do but i think you may be trying a little to hard. start with the most basic and light beer recipe you can find. see what that tastes like. then brew the exact same recipe again and add your specialty grain. see what that tastes like. all other ingredients being the same you will be able to taste the new grain and get an idea of what it does.

the idea is to see what each of the specialty grains do in a real beer not some artificial test beer.

Use corn and other beer adjuncts that have very low flavour, im not sure if they make a malted corn extract though.

Thanks. I will check online and at homebrew shop to see what kind of low flavor adjunts they have available.

american 2-row is very light in flavor and color. doesn't have the maltiness of say, marris otter.

The LHBS near me will let you taste a specialty grain and that's how I've been learning what they all do. It's a little sweeter than what the final product will give you but the general flavor of the malt is there.

Back