Looking for a leinenkugel summer shandy clone. Please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcfire12

Reaction score
Well I'm looking to clone the leinenkugel summer shandy clone. I have seen some recipes with Lemmon zest, lemonade concentrate, crystal light, and other powdered lemonade mix. I'm looking to get as close to the clone as possible and refine it from there. I'm not looking for judgment that the leinenkugel isn't really a beer or that other people find it tastes bad or anything like that. Has anyone come close to this? I don't currently have a lager chamber, but I'm definitely going to build one if it will help me with this. I'm hoping someone else has come pretty close to it and can help me. Any positive input would be greatly appreciated! I'll document the entire process and hopefully help anyone else trying to do this. I would love to start a batch soon!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Oops I didnt pay attention to that recipe. Sorry.

Try subbing 4.5# pilsen lme and 3# wheat lme. Should come out as 1.052 OG. Instead of doing straight lemon do a lemonade concentrate when kegging or bottling. Taste test and add more concentrate until it's to your liking.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Great idea! I have wondered this myself. Let us know how this turns out.

If you look on Leinies website, it says what kind of malts and hops they use in their beers. That might be a good general starting point

Just throwing this out there, don't know the answer: Would it be possible to mix a little skeeter pee with the Weiss at bottling time to achieve the flavor, like Black & Tan style?

Dont listen to the haters, Leinie's is good! I tried a berry weiss clone but it didnt turn out as planned.

Here's the recipe i'm going to use and build off of.
Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: 7g cooper's ale yeast
Yeast Starter: re-hydrated
Batch Size (Gallons): 6G
Original Gravity: 1.042
Final Gravity: 1.011
Boiling Time (Minutes): 30
Color: pale yellow/gold
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 32 days
Additional Fermentation: 4weeks,5 days in bottles
Tasting Notes: If you've had Leinenkugel's summer shandy,you'll like this. just fresher.

1) can Cooper's OS Lager
1lb bag Munton's plain DME
1lb bag Munton's plain wheat DME
1oz US Golding @ 20
1oz Willamette @ 12
total volume 5.75 gallons
Cooper's 15g ale yeast re-hydrated
OG-1.042
FG-1.011
Boil 2.5-3 gallons water,add 1lb bags of plain regular DME & the wheat DME,stir to totaly mix clumps in. She got a big hot break,I guess from the wheat DME addition. Just keep stirring till it goes down,about 3 minutes. sock up the 2 hops in separate bags. add the 1oz US Golding @ 20 minutes to go. Add the 1oz Willamette @ 12 minutes left in the boil. **These hop additions could be added loose for better edge to hop flavors.**
At flame out,remove from heat & stir in the cooper's OS lager can till no more LME can be scraped off the bottom of the BK. Cover & let steep 10-15 minutes while sanitizing fermenter,& preparing for ice bath.
Place covered BK in the sink,keeping sink plugged. Fill empty space around kettle with cold water,letting it sit a couple minutes till water gets warm. Drain,then fill empty space in sink around kettle to the top with ice,then top off that with cold tap water. Place floating thermometer in BK,keeping covered. It should cool down to 75F in about 20-30 minutes.
Swish sanitizer around fermenter 1 more time,then drain. Place fine mesh strainer over opening. The hop sacks shound be removed & squeezed out over strainer. ** Loose hops would fill strainer. Use sanitized spoon to stir/fold out liquid through strainer & dump strainer in plastic trash bag. ** Then pour the chilled wort through strainer if using hop sacks. This removes particulate matter,& aerates it real well. Dito with top off water to 5.75 gallons. The yeast should be re-hydrated in 2C cooled/boiled water for 20-30 minutes at 70-75F.
Stir wort & top off water roughly for 5 minutes straight. Take hydrometer sample,then stir & pitch re-hydrated yeast,seal & attach blow off tube. we pitched on 10/20,hit FG on 11/21. bottled with 2C boiled/cooled water with 4.7oz dextrose,& 12 packets of Trulemon crystal. That's what gives it the shandy's flavor. Bottled for 4 weeks,5 days,then into the fridge 1 week. But 2 weeks fridge time is def better. Got bubbly tornado in glass at that point. +**+ I'll skip the Truelemon from now on. Not enough flavor. But rather 2-3 ounces of lemon zest in a muslin hop sack15 minutes left in the boil. Or use Truelemon in conjunction with the zest. Lemon flavor needs more zip.+**+

I guess what i'm thinking here is to just do the brew like normal. Add the LME and DME and hops at those times, then add lemonade concentrate to it. I'm not sure if I want to add the concentrate to it while it's fermenting, or when I go to keg it. If it even matters that much? What do you guys think?

If I were to try it I would add the concentrate when kegging. Keep the sweetness from the lemonade sugars otherwise to me it would just end up like you added lemon juice.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

That recipe doesn't look anything like a Leine's beer. Leine's are all lagers, for one thing, and Cooper's ale yeast is a "woody" and flavorful ale yeast (which I personally hate).

The recipe would need all wheat DME and no canned LME. The hops seem wrong as well, as I don't think Goldings would go well with lemonade.

Doing a light wheat ale with a neutral ale yeast (like nottingham) and fermenting cool (under 60 if possible) and mixing with lemonade to serve might work out ok.

Also try and find some sorachi ace hops if you can. It may not be what THEY use but it gives the beer a nice lemony hop flavor.

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

Revisiting this topic because this weekend I will have both my primary and secondary open. Told myself I wasn't brewing again until I tried this. Anyone else want to chime in? Looks like I just need a simple wheat base then just put lemonade extract in when I keg? I just can't decide how to go about all this!

Back