lager question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakwood

Reaction score
I boiled over 3 weeks ago. My tempeture was a bit cool (44 when 48-58 was needed). Now 3 weeks later I have a temp control and with a control of 48-55. But I pulled off the cover tonight and found blobs of white somthing floating in the beer. I have never seen this before, did the ultra cool temp screw it up or is there somthing I can do to save it? Do I need to re-pitch? SHould I just dump it - or do the brews thing and just leave it alone for another month? I don't see any movement in the air lock so I think it is gone wrong wrong wrong and not sure what to do.....

Lagers take forever to ferment out, especially if they're a little too cold. I'm guessing that you have some krausen in there. The only way to know for sure is to check the sg and see where you're at in the fermentation.

I suspect it's doing just fine!

so do lagers not have as active fermitation as ales? I am just used to going down there and seeing some bubbling in the airlock and some kind of head on the beer. With this one all I see is the white what looks like mold floating on top. The air lock doesn't seem to move at all. I thought after 3 weeks I would see somthing, but again the temp was kind of cold. Maybe I should just leave it.

Well, if the temperature is too cold for the yeast, that's not a good thing. My lagers have done well at 50 degrees. I usually leave them in primary for about 2 weeks, and when the fermentation is about 75% finished, I raise the temp to 66 degrees for the diacetyl rest (if needed). Then I rack to secondary and begin to lower the temperature again.

This process really is dictated by the yeast. I'd say check the sg and see where you are in the process.

Another factor here to consider here is your pitching rate. Most homebrewers underpitch even with a starter. When brewing lagers's you have to consider an even bigger starter.
I have also started using servomyces in my lagers to augment faster ferments.

pulled a sample today (OG 1.046) today it was 1.044. I don't know what is going on now. My other (Pils) ran fine, now this one is taking over 4 weeks to drop 2 points? What is going on? Still all kinds of white floating things that looks like mold. Please help. Temp is steady not in the range of 45-58. It is fully pitched as the yeast sugested. I don't want to loose this one, please help.

Back