I'm a hop head and need help, bad!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay29

Reaction score
Thanks to Stone IPA I had for the first time, I have discovered that I love HOPS!!! Way more than I thought I did. That beer was top notch.:rockin:

I am not looking for a stone recipe, per say, but a PROVEN IPA that has all the hop character that a hop head can want. It doesn't have to be raging with alcohol content, maybe around 6% or so. Obviously, I have never brewed a big time IPA and need one that is proven GREAT. I can look at dozens of recipes, but I have no idea if they are any good.

I need a hop blast extract recipe!:tank:

Well, I think we've sort of made a "pact" to not post recipes that aren't proven to be great! I'd suggest an IPA if you love hops! If you want to look through the recipe database, I'm sure you'll find something that looks great. I know there's a Stone Ruination type with loads of centennial hops and lots more!

Here's a good place to start: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69

notes from the first extract with steeping grains IPA I did almost a year ago, it was snowing when we made it, hence the name.

1/21/07
Snowflake IPA

8# Pale Malt Extract
2# Great Western 2-row Pale Malt
1# Crystal 15L

4oz Centennial whole aa 9.0%
4oz Cascade whole aa 6.6%
0.25oz Amarillo whole aa 9.8%
1oz Columbus pellets aa 15.6% (dry hop)

Re-pitched on Wyeast 1056 yeast cake from Magic Hat #9 (73-77% Attenuation)

-Steep grains at 160*F 30 min, remove grain bag and bring wort to boil.
-Add LME
-Add Amarillo, and 2 oz Centennial (0’)
-Add 2 oz Cascade (15’)
-Add 2 oz Centennial (30’)
-Add 2 oz Cascade (50’) and ¼ tsp irish moss
-Turn off at 60’, strain into cooling bucket, cool to 75*F, dump onto yeast cake, aerate.

OG 1.052 @ 60*F

1/28/07 Racked to secondary, added Columbus hops)
SG 1.020 @ 68*F (1.021 temperature corrected, 62% attenuation…)
2/7/07 SG 1.019 @58*F (1.019 corrected, 64% attenutation)
2/10/07 FG 1.019, bottled, 4.4% ABV

I've brewed this twice, and can personally attest to it's awesomeness, and the fact that I have no bottles left :(. In fact, this was the first beer I ever made. I distinctly remember handing it to a friend of mine, who said "You know Kris, I was hoping this beer sucked so I could bust your balls. But this...this is reaaalllyy good."

[size=+2]Independence IPA[/size]
[size=+1]14-B American IPA[/size]

13.jpg

Size: 5.06 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 211.52 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.063 (1.056 - 1.075)
|==============#=================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.016 (1.010 - 1.018)
|===================#============|
Color: 13.6 (6.0 - 15.0)
|=====================#==========|
Alcohol: 6.25% (5.5% - 7.5%)
|=============#==================|
Bitterness: 58.73 (40.0 - 60.0)
|======================#=========|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
6 lbs Liquid Amber Extract
2 lbs Dry Light
1 lbs Belgian Caravienne
1 oz Nugget (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Fuggle (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz Fuggle (4.8%) - added at flame-out
1 ea White Labs WLP001 California Ale
.75 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

[size=+1]Schedule:[/size]

Steep Grains - Rest: 30 min; Temp: 130.0 °F

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.28[/size]

8 days in primary, a week in secondary at 70˚. Just throw the hop pellets straight in there to dry-hop, and re-attach a blowoff hose if you've got one. It peaks around 3-4 weeks after bottling (with 3/4c dextrose). God that beer was good. I think I'm going to have to brew this again.

:mug:

brewt00l said:
Straight extract, extract w/ steeping grains or PM?

Sorry, extract with steeping grains. I can still remember smelling that Stone IPA! :rockin: :D

I was in the same boat as you. Wanted a hopped up, hoppy glass of hoppiness but didn't want to go to sleep after 2 glasses.

I've brewed two 10-gallon batches of my "Maltese Falcon". Dry hopped the first batch for 7 days and then dry hopped the serving keg the second batch. Comes in around 5%. Bery hopped without too much bitterness. Great citrus nose.

If it looks like something you're intereseted in, just say so and I'll convert to extract / 5-gallons for you.

BierMuncher said:
didn't want to go to sleep after 2 glasses.

I am not posting my recipe because my first IPA does the same to me, two glasses, lights out; by gravities it is only about 4.5- 5% abv. I wonder why that is, but it will give me something to search next time I have some free time.

I will say I will not be using pellets next time for dry hopping. I ran a primary about 3-4 days, and then racked to secondary with pelleted hops. Mine sat in secondary for 8-10 days and MOST of the hops settled out, but occasionally I'll find a green speck in a bottle here or there.

FWIW most of the books say hop utilization is higher if the gravity of the wort is lower, all other things being equal and only within certain limits. OP might consider two 1.5gal boils at 60 min each to halve the sweet gravity and increase hop utilization that way.

Back