Honey Rye!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathBrewer

Maniacally Malty
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I screwed up with all my procrastinating and didn't make a starter, but I'm going to go ahead and make this today. It will be under 1.060 OG so i don't think it will need it anyway.

This is my new Honey Rye recipe. I've been planning this for weeks and I think i've got it just how I want it.

--------------------------------

Honey Rye

Grains
Doing a half-@$$ partial mash with the Rye Malt and steeping the rest

1.50 lbs. Rye Malt
4 oz. Aromatic Malt
4 oz. Honey Malt
4 oz. Biscuit Malt

DME/Honey/Sugar
Adding 1 lb of the DME and the Malto Dextrin before boil, the rest at flameout with the Honey

3 lbs. Wheat DME
2 lbs. Honey
4 oz. Malto Dextrin

Hops
Hallertau for 60 minute boil. Steeping the fuggle for 10 minutes after DME/Honey additions

1.0 oz. Hallertauer
0.5 oz. Fuggle

I'll also throw some Servomyces in there.

Using White Labs WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale Yeast

I'm getting started now. Wish me luck! :ban:

i just sat there mixing them for a half hour at 160, then poured over the 1/2 gallon of 160 F grain water and another 1/2 gallon of 160 water. i didn't have a problem.

i don't think i got everything i could out of them, but the mix tastes like rye, so it should add some nice flavor to the beer. like i said "half-@$$" ;)

i'm about to add my dme and start my boil.

All done!

OG came to 1.050 which is about 8 points lower than i expected. i don't think my efficiency was great with my "mash", but i can taste the rye and it tastes fantastic! i think this is going to be a wonderful brew!

had a little mishap...i went to sanitize carboy and equipment and left the water running to fill up the sink. it overflowed onto the kitchen floor. even leaked down a little bit on the neighbor downstairs! gotta remember to pay more attention while i'm mult-tasking :drunk: luckily, the sink isn't deep enough to tip the stockpot, so it didn't ruin the batch. *phew*

oh well, after soaking and scrubbing up all that water, my floor is nice a clean ;)

didn't aerate this one with my pump...i think between adding the tap water and shaking it several times over a half-hour, it will be fine.

We'll see how it goes, but i have high hopes for this brew :mug:

Back