Homebrewing and fairs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southern brewer

Reaction score
I have a few questions.
Has anyone in Mississippi attempted to gain the licenses needed to be able to sell their own brewed beer at fairs and public gatherings where the comsumption of beer is permitted?
I have thought about going to Renaisance fairs and the like and selling my own beer. I have also given out samples to quiet a few people who made the same suggestion (without me mentioning it). Has anyone ever done any research about this or actually accomplished it? I'ld like to go to 6 or so events a year in the state with my beer and sell until i'm dry.

Thanks for any information anyone may already have.

southern brewer said:
I have a few questions.
Has anyone in Mississippi attempted to gain the licenses needed to be able to sell their own brewed beer at fairs and public gatherings where the comsumption of beer is permitted?
I have thought about going to Renaisance fairs and the like and selling my own beer. I have also given out samples to quiet a few people who made the same suggestion (without me mentioning it). Has anyone ever done any research about this or actually accomplished it? I'ld like to go to 6 or so events a year in the state with my beer and sell until i'm dry.

Thanks for any information anyone may already have.

What part of MS are you in... The Mid-South Fair (in memphis) has a homebrew competition. It's sponsored by the Midsouth Brewers and Connosseiuers (however that word is spelled). It's not really selling it but you get $5 for every first place beer you have.

This is a very interesting concept. I bet it would go over quite well if you can get past the red tape. If it were at a Renaissance fair you could have a booth set up and demonstrate how beer was made back then. You would need to brew a lot of beer though because I think it would be very popular. That volume of beer would have to be made at a commercial brewery.

RichBrewer said:
This is a very interesting concept. I bet it would go over quite well if you can get past the red tape. If it were at a Renaissance fair you could have a booth set up and demonstrate how beer was made back then. You would need to brew a lot of beer though because I think it would be very popular. That volume of beer would have to be made at a commercial brewery.

I do believe it would be very popular as well. i had several other people who do go to Renaissance type fairs suggest that I set up a booth to sell as well (without me ever mentioning it). The red tape is going to suck and so will all the start up costs. i'm in Ocean Springs MS (near Biloxi). As far as brewing in mass, it would be done in stages. Depending on how much it costs to get my license to brew and distribute, I will set a minimum numbre of events I would have to visit each year to ensure a yearly profit. assuming I don't have to go to 20-30 events to be profitable, then i can move forward with it in stages. I plan on doing research to determine how much brand name beer vendors sell when they go to events like that and base my production on that ammount. If I can get a little backing, I plan on kegging it and bringing as much as i can. The first time around would probably be 25-50 gallons of homebrew. If i can't afford enough kegs, i'll bottle the rest and just pour it out of the bottle for them (so i can keep the bottles). As far as not getting licensed to brew in my kitchen, I technically don't. I brew outside :). But i understand what you are talking about. I bottle in my kitchen and rack in my kitchen. If they don't allow me to bottle and brew then i'll have to cross that bridge when i reach it.

Back