Help........big Problem!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay29

Reaction score
I ordered from this home brew company online, I will withhold the name, for the first time. They screwed up my order and forgot to send me my German Dark Crystal malt (6oz), 2 row German for a Dunkleweizen beer in clone brews. Needless to say they lost my future business. :mad: I have two pounds of crushed crystal malt, UK 64.0 LOVIBOND just sitting around. Would this be a good replacement? If so, how much should I use? Thanks for your help, Jay

You should be able to substitute. I just need to know what the lovi of the German Dark Crystal is, and I can figure out how much of the 64lovi crystal you'll need.

Call the homebrew store and tell them your order was shorted, and ask them to send you the German Dark (they should do it at their expense).

Or, you could bake/roast 6oz of the crushed Crystal spread out on a cookie sheet.
Try 250 deg for 15-20 minutes...keep an eye on it, and don't burn it.
If you do burn it, looks like you still have 1 1/2 lbs to try again.

You can substitute anything for anything. Not that you'd want to or it would do the job.

2 x 60l is not the same as 1x 120l.

The taste is completely different as well as the colour.
I would go for the same quantity but add a little darker malt to increase the colour and add a little more roastiness.

Evan! said:
You should be able to substitute. I just need to know what the lovi of the German Dark Crystal is, and I can figure out how much of the 64lovi crystal you'll need.

From the website:

70-75 Lovibond Gives a sweet;smooth pronounced caramel flavor & a red to deep red color.

jay29 said:
From the website:

70-75 Lovibond Gives a sweet;smooth pronounced caramel flavor & a red to deep red color.

7oz of 64L crystal should give you the same color as 6oz of 75L crystal. Honestly, there's not gonna be much difference.

Back