Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Good long batch!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2007, 03:34 PM   #1
mawa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Good long batch!

Finally my 4th batch is done! Bottled, and I'm drinking it!

I made this batch (sam adams boston ale clone - AHS) way back in december and because of several trips this half year and a newborn I left the beer in primary for 5 weeks and in secondary for several months!

I thought that because of the long time, the batch would be ruined but I decided to bottle anyway. I followed the advice some of you here at HBT gave me and sprinkled half a pack of dry yeast on top on the beer once it was in the bottling bucket.

Three weeks later I opened the frist one and WOW! A very nice and tasty beer! It doesn't tate anything like SA Boston Ale, it tastes better in my opinion (of course, it's my beer, what else could I say!!!!)

I already hace another batch in secondary and gettin ready for the next one in a couple of weeks!

Loving this Hobby!

Thanks for all your help!

Mawa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hey, congrats! Sounds like a winner!

I am a big fan of bulk conditioning. All my 'bigger' ales go into the secondary for extended periods now (1 - 6 months). It really does help the beer. Having the beer sit on the big yeast cake really helps to remove off-flavours and round out the flavour profile, particularly if you use a lot of dark/roasted grains.

And I am like you -- I now sprinkle a half-package of yeast in my bottling bucket before I bottle. But I don't think it is really necessary (I am just cautious). I think on my next batch, I might bottle a few before I add the yeast, just to compare the carbonation on the yeast vs. no-yeast bottles.

Anyways, glad to hear about your success. What's next on the brewlist?

Old 06-27-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
mawa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the response!

I still want to do a couple of "extract kits" to get the proccess down, before i start experimenting buying ingredients separetley and following some recipies and after a few batches of that, getting creative!

The brew already fermenting is a Fat Tire clone from AHS and the next one will be an American Red Ale also from AHS. I'm thinking of trying the late extract method with the red ale; I'm sure I'll have some questions for that!

Mawa

Old 06-27-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

There is also no substitute for time! If you could leave all of your brews so long they would almost certainly improve in flavor! Good luck.

Quick Reply