First extract brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nocturnus

Reaction score
So, this is my first extract brew (Real Ale Fireman's #4). Got my kit from AHB. I know the instructions say after primary let it sit in secondary for 5-7 days to help clear. Now when I look at my carboy with a flashlight on the other side, I can def still see stuff suspended in the beer and have a few yeast clumps still floating. Do I let it sit a while longer?

My other concern is I took a SG reading last night and I could of swore it was sitting at 1.000. I'm really hoping I misread that, if not that means someone come in and replaced my brew with colored water.

how long has it been?

Double check that reading/hydrometer, extract brews are almost incapable of getting that dry.

I cooked it up on the 14th I think. Moved it to secondary on 20th. I was checking SG while in the primary and it seemed to have fermented quickly. I checked SG the fri/sat/sun after I brewed and my SG was at 1.010. My random readings during this week were all the same. I misread it last night thinking it was at 1.000, which it was at 1.010.

I figure moving to bottle Sunday night still..

If you bottled on Sunday (tomorrow) that would be less than two weeks - too early in my opinion, especially if you have concerns about stuff floating around in it. I'd wait at least three weeks.

I checked the SG on my first batch many years ago and have not done so since. My beers are all spectacular! I also (based on this boards opinions) stopped using a secondary. I let the primary go for about 2 weeks or so and keg from there.

Let it sit for another week, and in a spot up high so you can rack it to your bottling bucket without having to move it around. I set it on top of my mini fridge now because every time I lift it, the sediment will get stirred up.

Already in bottles.. I'll do another brew after I move and do a few things different that time around.. So just let it go in primary next time around? I really want to get a 6.5g glass carboy. Don't like the bucket. I like to see everything happening. I do have a 5g caraboy, I guess if I use a blow off tube I could use it for primary.

Back