First brew session w/pics..& with a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bottled her up yesterday, very excited...Anywho, would like some input on priming sugar/corn sugar.. Every calculator was giving me different measurements. My desired volume of co2 is 2.0 so what i did was put 3.8oz of priming sugar into 16oz of boiling water (let it cool), then dumped into bottling bucket, then i siphoned the wort from my primary into my bucket, then stirred. Shortly after i bottled them up..Sound right? Thanks again my fellow friends..

No need to cool your priming solution. Get your beer moving into the bottling bucket then add your solution. When siphoning is done, give a gentle stir with racking cane and you're set.

I quit priming with corn sugar and just use table sugar now. It's one less thing to worry about running out of, and table sugar works exactly as well as corn sugar (dextrose). Only difference: you use 9% less than table sugar because it does not contain as much water as corn sugar.

I agree with you poislb, might as well dive in and get the stuff(gear) you want right from the beginning! Can't wait to fire up my first brew!

Well bottled it 2 weeks ago, and knew it was gonna be kinda watered down going into it. Cause i goofed by over adding my top off water by .25/.5 gallons. Still not a bad beer, will see what it tastes like in another week or so. Its very clear, a bit watered down but very drinkable. Since it was my first brew my expectations were very low. My second batch of multigrain red should come out very nice, was a perfect brew day hitting all my numbers. Since then that one has been bottled and will be ready in about 2 1/2 weeks. Got my pipeline some what started and working on my all grain pale ale recipie as we speak:)

Thanks for following this thread, thanks for all the advise along the way as well. On my next pour i will post a pic of the irish draught, like i said a bit watery but very drinkable. It taste like beer so i guess the result it still very rewarding:)

Hey poislb... I see in your pics there is adhesive on your floor that used to hold down tiles of some sort. Do you know how old those tiles were? I ask because if it is from the 70's or earlier, there is a good chance the dark-colored adhesive could have ASBESTOS in it. Not a good thing, especially not for an infant or toddler. If that adhesive is old, make sure you don't scratch or sand it, because that could cause the asbestos to get airborne, which is really really bad.

Hey poislb... I see in your pics there is adhesive on your floor that used to hold down tiles of some sort. Do you know how old those tiles were? I ask because if it is from the 70's or earlier, there is a good chance the dark-colored adhesive could have ASBESTOS in it. Not a good thing, especially not for an infant or toddler. If that adhesive is old, make sure you don't scratch or sand it, because that could cause the asbestos to get airborne, which is really really bad.

Thanks for the concern, appreciate that. Yeah, last year my basment got flooded and im in the process of renivateing it. Dont know how old the tiles were, there was carpet on top of what ya see. Just plan on putting carpet back cause im not gonna try and remove that glue. The boy stays upstairs untill the basement finished and never tried to sand or remove the glue, stuff looks like a pain to get up. Thanks buddy

DUDE!!! You have a massive pot and a wort chiller?????!!!! GO FULL BOIL:rockin:

Seriously, you have the equipment and setup, I'd consider doing a full wort boil from here on out. I wish I could tell you why, but I don't do a full boil (yet) due to pot size limitations and lack of a chiller, but I hear its a world of difference.

Yes go full boil , you will love your beer more.:mug:

Good luck all looks good to me.

Back