Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > First batch tomorrow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 01:41 AM   #11
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For a kit or extract brew, there is really no need for an hydrometer to measure the OG. Just use what the kit says it should be, or what a recipe calculator says.

You really do need it to determine if it is done fermenting. Without a final gravity reading, you cannot tell if it has really finished.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 02:49 AM   #12
dpagan
Recipes 

Alright. I'll have to get one this week. It has been in the fermenter since 5:00. Just got back from dinner it is slowly bubbling. I have it covered with a large shipping blanket in the garage. When I went to check on it and pulled the blanket off. The airlock came off. I quickly re-applied it. Still ok??

Old 10-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
dpagan
Recipes 

Came out this morning to a pretty good sized mess. Foam all over the top. And through the airlock. Replaced it with a clean stopper and airlock. It's still foaming like crazy and seems to want to push the stopper, chips and all through the neck. Guess I'm paying for the low foam during boiling. Lol

Old 10-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #14
jesseroberge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpagan
Came out this morning to a pretty good sized mess. Foam all over the top. And through the airlock. Replaced it with a clean stopper and airlock. It's still foaming like crazy and seems to want to push the stopper, chips and all through the neck. Guess I'm paying for the low foam during boiling. Lol
Dude keep an eye on the beer because if the airlock clogs your gonna cry your mother with beer on the celling of the room male a blow off tube and make it quick... Go on youtube and type in "blowoff tube home brew" and see what you can do, if you have a spare stopper and a hardware store close to you they your set

Old 10-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #15
jesseroberge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Oh and rember one thing, stop opening and peeking at the beer your risk of infection is higher when you do this, set it and forget it for 3 weeks minimum with a blowoff tube "of course"

Cheers

Old 10-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #16
dpagan
Recipes 

Ok. Looks simple enough. And I have everything I need. In the bucket just put starsan and water?
I haven't opened it except to replace the one airlock. Should I take the one in it now off for a minute to release pressure or just do the Gliwice, replace and step away?

Old 10-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #17
jesseroberge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Ok. Looks simple enough. And I have everything I need. In the bucket just put starsan and water?
I haven't opened it except to replace the one airlock. Should I take the one in it now off for a minute to release pressure or just do the Gliwice, replace and step away?
Prepare your blowoff rube and swap it

Old 10-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #18
dpagan
Recipes 

Ok. Have another carboy I can vent to.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #19
dpagan
Recipes 

The boys chillin'.... Thank you guys for the advice. Hope it comes out splendid!

image-4039185876.jpg  

Old 10-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #20
jesseroberge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
The boys chillin'.... Thank you guys for the advice. Hope it comes out splendid!
Good job dude just make sure the tube you set onto your airlock is fit tight....

Now the real chalenge is ste it and FORGET IT for 3 to 4 weeks all the flavors will have time to blend together and the final gravity will be there for sure, just be careful for temp changes the best is when it is stable all the time it ferments... **** the secondary fermenter just let it go for 30 days and then keg or bottle

Quick Reply