Finished fermenting but Too Sweet Scottish Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstricklan

Reaction score
I'm three weeks into a 80 schilling scottish ale kit from Midwest (Scottish Export 80-/ - Amber Ales - Beer Recipe Kits - Brewing Ingredients), with FG 1.010, ready to bottle. I was hoping for something that tasted like Odell's 90-Schilling but this stuff tastes quite a bit sweeter, or rather, without much bitterness to balance the malt. I guess this is my lesson on non-Americanized Scottish Ale styles?

Anyways, I'm thinking of making a hop tea to try to bitter it. Is this a good idea? I have some columbus and centennial hops on hand, would these work? Any recommendations for how little water I could get away with and still add about 15 IBUs to the batch?

Thanks!

I'm three weeks into a 80 schilling scottish ale kit from Midwest (Scottish Export 80-/ - Amber Ales - Beer Recipe Kits - Brewing Ingredients), with FG 1.010, ready to bottle. I was hoping for something that tasted like Odell's 90-Schilling but this stuff tastes quite a bit sweeter, or rather, without much bitterness to balance the malt. I guess this is my lesson on non-Americanized Scottish Ale styles?

Anyways, I'm thinking of making a hop tea to try to bitter it. Is this a good idea? I have some columbus and centennial hops on hand, would these work? Any recommendations for how little water I could get away with and still add about 15 IBUs to the batch?

Thanks!

I don't know about the hop tea, as I've never done it. But my experience with Scottish ales is that they do tend to run pretty sweet with no discernible bitterness or hops flavor or aroma. Sounds like you nailed the style!

the o'dells 90/-, while a GREAT beer, isn't like many scottish heavy/exports. those can be a bit sweet, and are usually somewhat maltier than the O'dells 90/-. also i think the O'dells is a bit hoppier than a traditional export. like yooper said, that kit made a 'to style' export, o'dells is more of a west coast interpretation of said style. still great beer though, i can see why you'd hope for it. you'll like the 80/- kit beer too, scottish ales are very nice beers.

Latest posts

Back