Fermentation Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pirate252

Reaction score
I just brewed up two batches, one a pale and the other an irish red.

They are both 5 gallon batches and the irish red has 1 more pound of LME and 1.5 lbs more specialty grains in it.

I added White labs yeast that I started the day before to both of them the same time.

The pale is supposed to ferment at 68-73 and I have kept it at about 71, the red is supposed to ferment at 65-68 and I have kept it about 65.

They both went violently for about 35-40 hours but the red has slowed a lot more than the pale and they seemed to be going about the same for their violent stage. Now the question is I know that the yeast says to ferment the red at the lower temp, but I am concerned that it may be hampering the yeast, is this possible or am I just being paranoid.

I did notice the yeast strains acted differently, the pale one made a lot of tiny bubbles in the carboy, while the red made a lot less bubbles but they were much larger in diameter.

You're over-analyzing it. It sounds to me like you had a perfectly normal fermentation on both of them. Different yeast strains will act differently. Heck, even the same yeast strain in a different beer (different amount of fermentables, different temperatures, etc.) could produce entirely different results.

In other words, do what Orfy said: RDWHAHB! Let them sit for a week in the primary, and if fermentation appears to be complete by then, rack to secondary and take a gravity reading (if you have a hydrometer).

Back