Doppelbock butterscotch flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brysonjk

Reaction score
I just tapped the doppelbock that I brewed from extract back in February last night. I immediately noticed a light to medium butterscotch flavor when I tasted it. Strangely it doesn't taste bad, but I assume it isn't supposed to be there. It was fermented at 55 degF for 3 weeks, diacetyl rest in 70 degF room for about 3 days, and then it was lagered at 45 degF for a month, and moved to a keg and has been at 38 since.

My question... is there anything I can do about the butterscotch flavor at this point (pitch more yeast, raise temp)? The beer is still young (only 3.5 months old), so perhaps it will go away over time?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Diacetyl generally is cleaned up during the diacetyl rest (that's the point of one, after all). If there is diacetyl present now, you can try repitching a big yeast starter, but I don't think it will work well at this point.

It probably won't go away with lagering, as it is the yeast that "clean up" the diacetyl. Although, I guess it could be possible.

Back