Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Dishwasher to sanitize bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 07:33 PM   #21
orangeandblue302
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

dishwasher with some one step has done well for me for my first and second batch. Lets hope its 3/3 when i try my new batch that has yet to be bottled.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 09:04 PM   #22
Gosassin
Recipes 

I have been using the dishwasher with great success. I rinse the bottles after pouring, then wash them with regular soap along with dishes, etc. Then when it's time to bottle, I run a bottle-only load with a shot of Starsan in the main soap compartment, and a little bit more in the reserve. Works like a champ!

Old 01-15-2009, 12:45 AM   #23
Panzermann
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I run my bottles through a rinse and heat cycle, take them out and sanitize via the Vinator (I use StarSan) and bottle that way.

Not one problem thus far.

folgen Sie die Reinheitsgebot oder die Deutschen reinheit gesetz?

***No longer have time to keep up with all my batches***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I would love to find a loooong oldschool baster though, mine is a little short

Old 01-15-2009, 02:49 AM   #24
Jaxford
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
I used to do this with a dishwasher with a sanitize setting. Then I read references to a Zymurgy article where someone had done this and plated swabs from each bottle and a significant number of the plates grew something. I rethought my process and that point and decided that sterilization in the oven is the easiest and safest method with the only downside being running the oven for a long time (problematic only in warm weather) and then need to plan ahead.

I definitely wouldn't do the dishwasher method in a dishwasher without a sanitize setting.

See Palmer's "How to Brew" for a table of times and temperatures for dry heat sterilization in the oven. You can do this as far ahead as you wish. Just cover the top of the bottle in foil before you sterilize. As long as you store the bottles upright they will remain sterile indefinitely.

OK... Lots of really good stuff here.

My brother and I wimped out on the dishwasher (beer is not something I leave to chance) since my washer does not have "sanitize" and only heats to 120f.

But here is what we did. He used the Palmer method and I used the no rinse solution from my local brew store. We alternated bottles and will compare them when they as they mature. The other thing we did was alternate between 24 and 12oz bottles and threw in a growler. It will be interesting to see:

1. Compare the oven sanitizing to "one step"?
2. Does the bottle size determine the amount of time the beer takes to mature?

Updates to follow...

Old 01-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #25
universe
Recipes 

Does the Vinator do beer bottles? Mine slip past where the wine bottles stop due to being a larger diameter. Did I miss an attachment for beer?

Old 10-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #26
Ineedaride2
Recipes 

If I've cleaned my bottles really well, can I sanitize them by using the heated dry cycle only, or do I need to high temp wash and then heated dry?

Old 10-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #27
Ineedaride2
Recipes 

Nevermind, I don't think I even have that option. Looks like I have to at least put it through a rinse cycle.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #28
Cheaton
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My two cents.... I think you're going to be hit or miss on the dishwasher. The temperatures may be high enough at dry time, but you're probably wasting alot of water for nothing considering the jets proabably aren't getting water inside of half your bottles. So... if you haven't thouroughly cleaned your bottles before hand you may not be really doing enough with the dishwasher sterilization. You'd be better off to hand scrub them and bake them in the oven. Or, just scrub and rinse well and use star-san... in my humble opinion. The bottom line is, if you're not scrubbing your bottles you're not getting them clean . And you're depending on your sanitation process to kill far more foreign microbes than it would if the bottles were properly cleaned before sterilization.

Primary - Plain Pub Bitter

Bottled - Brewer's Best English Brown Ale (Suprisingly good!), EdWort's Apfelwein, Cleveland Winter Pale Ale

Tap-A-Drafted - Sweet Baby Stout

On Deck -

Old 10-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #29
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1577 Times on 1192 Posts
Likes Given: 2836

The dishwasher is a GREAT way to do it. Put no rinse sanitizer in during the "rinse" part of the wash cycle(towards the end) and no need for heated dry or "sanitize".

The only reason I don't do it anymore is SWMBO occasionally decides to put rinse aid in the little reservoir for it.

BAND AID BEER.

PHUCK THAT.

If your SWMBO is trainable, or you live alone, dishwasher is great.

"Thanks but when should I put employees in? This is my first time trying to add a flavor like this to a beer so I'm kinda clueless...."

-EMPLOYEE FLAVORED BEER........

(my new hero....) pbohanna

Old 10-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #30
eanmcnulty
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedaride2 View Post
If I've cleaned my bottles really well, can I sanitize them by using the heated dry cycle only, or do I need to high temp wash and then heated dry?
If you have cleaned your bottles already, the heat cycle works great for sanitizing.

New bottles get a good cleaning and scrubbing with the bottle brush in Oxyclean to wash and remove the labels.
Bottles that have had home brew in them get a rinse right after pouring, and then an Oxyclean wash later.
I dry them in a simple rack I made the holds them upside down for a couple of days.
When they are dry I use small (3"x3") pieces of tin foil to cover the tops, and I store them in the basement.
To me, this is just an every day/week process of being a home brewer. I do small amounts of bottles (12 or so) at a time. That way I have a back up of bottles in the store room. (I wish I had a store room)
When I am ready to bottle, I fill the dishwasher up, and turn it on, using the heat-dry cycle, but no soap.
Then I sit next to the DW and bottle directly for it.
I have been doing this for the past twenty batches, and have had no problem at all.

Quick Reply