Coopers kit question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RukusDM

Reaction score
I currently have a Coopers Real Ale kegged, and a Coopers Lager fermenting. I also have a Coopers Draught kit that I'll be starting probably this holiday weekend.

My question is, do you see any downsides to using a Safale S-04 or a Safale S05 for my Coopers Draught batch instead of the coopers yeast?

I have a Cider going with S-04 and another going with S-05 and a Cyser going with Muntons Brewers yeast.

I was thinking of washing the yeast cakes when I rack them, and after that I could create a starter. My experience with S-04 is it really cleans up after it self pretty good. Of all of the current yeasts I've tried, that one has cleared the fastest for me.

If the kit has standard (not Gold) Cooper's yeast, the other yeasts you mention will give you a drier finish.

All the Coopers original series kits come with their English style ale yeast. I've found it to be a pretty good dry yeast but there just isn't a lot of it to pitch. The other aspect is I tend to have better results with re-pitches of the slurry from dried yeast than from the original dry pitch. It's not ideal to harvest yeast from a cider to ferment beer but if you're going to make a starter I'd roll with it.

I've never used Cooper's yeast, but I've heard it's very good and handles a wide variety of temp ranges. I actually plan on trying some on my next batch.

That being said, I use safeale-05 almost exclusively and absolutely love it. IMHO, it leaves a very clean finish and takes off like a rocket. Very reliable. I've read on this board the 04 is even faster, but I've never tried it.

Thanks all for your input. I'm not sure at this time if there are any advantages at this time to use S-04 or S-05 or not. I'm not sure they will add anything more than the plain coopers will add.

I was just curious as I will have 3 different washed yeast cakes coming up shortly.

Back