LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
elproducto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Container for LME

I'm going to try a BOP place near me which will sell me liquid malt extract, but I have to bring my own container.

Any suggestions on what to use? I was thinking 4 litre water jugs that spring water come in.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Anything will work. I've seen it in everything, plastic buckets, tupperware, milk jugs. Whatever you have. I gallon zip lock baggies.

One tip I would say is to make sure it is something that you can easily submerge into a pan of hot water to soften the extract a bit so it flows our of the container easily.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Good thought, thanks Revvy.
I won't be doing this often, but my nearest LHBS is over 2 hours away.. and I'd really like to do a batch of Amarillo IPA this weekend. I have a pound of Amarillo just waiting to get brewed.. but no extract

Old 10-16-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
scotian
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I get my LME this way from a Brew on Premises in Brampton, ON. He sells LME from a drum by the litre. I take a bunch of 1 litre clear plastic food containers like the generic ones supermarkets use for bulk candy/nuts. Empty yogurt or ice cream containers would work just as well.

1 litre of extract is pretty close to 3 lbs in weight so I use either one or two containers for my partial mash recipes and then add or subtract the amount of grain to get my target OG.

The wide mouth of the container is easy to work with.

Like Revvy said, warm the container in hot water in the sink for 10-15 mins before you dump it into the kettle or fermenter.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:20 AM   #5
nikkormat
Recipes 

i get plastic buckets from my LHBS when I buy LME, 2 dollar deposit if you bring em back. they hold at least 9.5 lbs of extract, have metal handles, and are essentially really small versions of ale pails.

if you ever did a cookie dough drive in elementary or middle school. think about the tubs that the cookie dough came in and you've got your basic container, at least in regards to what I use for LME

Old 10-21-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
grasshopper1917
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well if it longer then 2 hours away bring lots of 4L jugs and stock up

cheers

Quick Reply