Cherry Wheat w/ Dried Cherries?>

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterjw

Reaction score
So I'm planning to brew up a batch of cherry wheat in the next couple of weeks. It'll be an extract brew with and American Wheat base, and I'm still working on the recipe a bit. But I'd like to use real cherries instead of extract (at least for the most part, I may add a dash of extract at bottling just for touch of sweetness depending on how it turns out).

I'm looking to keep the cherry flavor subtle and a little on the tart side. I found some dried tart cherries at a local country market that I thought might do the trick. Has anyone tried using dried fruit to add some flavor to their beers? I'm really not sure how much to use or when to add it.

I know that using dried herbs in cooking versus fresh often requires adjusting the amount used due to the increased intensity of the dried herb flavor. Can the same logic be applied here? Any input would be helpful.

Back