The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > carafoam-carapils-maltodextrine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2006, 10:27 PM   #11
El Pistolero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial Walker
If you meant that there should be no difference between using dextrin malt (aka carapils/carafoam) and using the plain sugar maltodextrin, I would disagree.
I have to disagree with your disagreement. Isn't maltodextrin essentially dextrin malt extract?

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2006, 10:32 PM   #12
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
I have to disagree with your disagreement. Isn't maltodextrin essentially dextrin malt extract?
I think that there is more in dextrin malt extract than what you have in malto dextrin. There might even be some fermentable sugars in dextrin malt, as well as proteins.

Kai

Old 03-22-2006, 12:53 AM   #13
m_f
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default An update on this thread...

When I opened this thread I was trying to decide on the use of dextrine malt or maltodextrine.

here is the rest of my story:
I used a very conservative amount of carapils (6 oz/5Gals) and steeped together with 6 oz of crystal 20 (45 min. 155 F). Upon racking I tasted the beer and it hadn't the body I expected so I tossed 8 oz of maltodextrine in the priming solution.

I am drinking the beer right now, it has good head retention and body. It has no haze. if chilled (not necesary because of style) very very cold, it develops only a shy haze. The beer is very light in color so the haze is more evident.

My plans are to repeat this brew and increase the amount of carapils to at least 8 oz AND use maltodextrine at boil.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:32 AM   #14
mbreen01
Recipes 

I have been thinking about adding something extra in for more mouthfeel and head retention. So I picked up a pound of Carapils dextrine malt and a bag of maltodextrine powder the last visit to the LHBS. My question is how much of what to use? I am an extract with steeped grain brewer. Is this something purely subjective or is there a dose dependant response?

Marc.

On tap & enjoying: Honey Wheat; Cheese's Caramel Cream Ale
Gone with a belch: Bock Talkit; Three Kings Better Bitter; Quake & Bake Oatmeal Stout; High Altitude Pale Ale
On deck: Garbage Pale Ale; Honey Wheat

Old 11-05-2006, 03:59 PM   #15
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Malto-Dextrine & Dextrine Malt

I have used MD with corn sugar before. Less than 4 oz. It is not fermentable hence the extra body. Adding MD can slightly sweeten the taste with young brews. I have found that with longer aging, greater than 2 months, this sweet taste disappears.

I have used up 12oz of DM (carapils) on AHA continental pilsner. On this particular batch I never saw chill haze. I didn't steep over 160DF. I also didn't squeeze the grain bag. Both said to be no-no's.

I think both work well, carapils is probably better for the purist at heart.

I think one could omitt the need for either with all malt extracts. No Corn Sugar, substitute extra-light DME. I have thought about adding more malt w/ some crystal malt (L10-30), then some carapils. I really like a dense layer of foam on my beer.

MD or DM - It seems these are more necessary for keeping the "light" in lagers & ales while attemping to increase body. - A brewers magic trick!

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Last edited by Schlenkerla; 11-06-2006 at 03:49 AM.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:16 AM   #16
feedthebear
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

This thread is well timed for me. I'm brewing with carapills for the first time tomorrow. My recipe called for maltodexterine but for what ever reason my LBHS doesn't carry it.

I'm hoping tomorrow's brew goes well with it. If it does, I'm seriously considering adding it to any future extract recipe I do, especially if it doesn't have any specialty grains. My peach cream ale turned out wonderfully, but so far its mouthfeel is like water. I hoping it improves with carbonation and age.

Drinking: Cab.Sav/Merlot Wine, Grand Cru, Hazelnut Stout #3, Ordinary Bitter

Old 11-10-2006, 01:24 AM   #17
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedthebear
This thread is well timed for me. I'm brewing with carapills for the first time tomorrow.
Do you have cracked carapils or no? If its not, its easy to crack in a blender ~ 1/3 of cup at a time pulsing it on and off. Just till its cracked

You might use a muslin hop bag too. Easy to remove the grain when its time.

Good Luck.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 11-10-2006, 11:28 PM   #18
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
Since maltodextrines are often used in the commercial [COLOR=green! important][COLOR=green! important]baking[/COLOR][/COLOR] process, you will see maltodextrine listed in products such as [COLOR=green! important][COLOR=green! important]cakes[/COLOR][/COLOR], cookies, frostings, fruit leathers, granola bars, dry mixes, [COLOR=green! important][COLOR=green! important]infant[/COLOR][/COLOR] formulas, dairy products, frozen desserts, coffee whiteners, ice creams, low-fat margarine, peanut butter, salad dressings and nutritional beverages. Maltodextrines are generally recognized as safe (GRAS) food ingredients. "In the U.S., maltodextrine is produced from cornstarch and can be safely eaten by those with celiac disease [an intolerance to a protein called gluten, found in wheat, rye, and barley], but in other countries maltodextrine can be made from wheat, so consuming imported foods is not advised," says Dr. Buford Nichols, a physician who studies starch metabolism at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston.

I disagree with your disagreeing.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 11-11-2006, 06:19 AM   #19
feedthebear
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla
Do you have cracked carapils or no? If its not, its easy to crack in a blender ~ 1/3 of cup at a time pulsing it on and off. Just till its cracked

You might use a muslin hop bag too. Easy to remove the grain when its time.

Good Luck.
I'm doing, well, I just did a stout. So I had 1lb 12oz. of other grains to steep too. I ran it through the grain mill at the LHBS with the other grains. I'll keep the blender trick in mind next time I'm doing an all extract. Thanks.
Drinking: Cab.Sav/Merlot Wine, Grand Cru, Hazelnut Stout #3, Ordinary Bitter

Last edited by feedthebear; 11-11-2006 at 06:27 AM.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:32 AM   #20
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Default First lager = steam fermented @ 62F

I just bottled my american cream ale. I had about 8 oz of carapils with 6 lbs of extra light DME and my home grown hops. It tastes pretty mellow. It has a nice Cascade hops taste. Its about 13 IBU's according to my hop schedule. This should satisify my BMC house guests, with the carapils and a heady pour we should both be happy. After bottling I gave my PET's a good shake, with it flat it still gives off a good head. (It puffs the bottle out...)

Plan to carb two weeks then fridge lager 6-8 weeks. Should OK at Super Bowl Time!!!

BS Nano-Brewery

Quick Reply