Calling all Extract Brewers. HELP!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtybulkales

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to this website and have never posted before. So my apologises if this question should be asked else where within this forum space.

I have been brewing extract kits for sometime now and have made some pretty unique beers long the way but I am unfortunately stuck with these ingredients I have.
Can anyone please help me with a recipe with what I have?
I got these products discounted from my LHBS;

500g of Dextrose
1KG of Unhopped Liquid Amber Malt
1KG of Unhopped Liquid Light Malt
100g of Chocolate Malt Grains (Crushed with rolling pin)
150g of Crystal Malt Grains (Crushed with rolling pin)
15g of Cascade Hop Pellets
60g of Ella (Formally Stella) Hop Pellets

I a confident I can make a decent Amber/Pale Ale out of this but I don't want a low alcoholic beer.

Thank you, my friends.

DBA:mug:

Hi All,

I am new to this website and have never posted before. So my apologises if this question should be asked else where within this forum space.

I have been brewing extract kits for sometime now and have made some pretty unique beers long the way but I am unfortunately stuck with these ingredients I have.
Can anyone please help me with a recipe with what I have?
I got these products discounted from my LHBS;

500g of Dextrose
1KG of Unhopped Liquid Amber Malt
1KG of Unhopped Liquid Light Malt
100g of Chocolate Malt Grains (Crushed with rolling pin)
150g of Crystal Malt Grains (Crushed with rolling pin)
15g of Cascade Hop Pellets
60g of Ella (Formally Stella) Hop Pellets

I a confident I can make a decent Amber/Pale Ale out of this but I don't want a low alcoholic beer.

Thank you, my friends.

DBA:mug:
Maybe pick up another kilo of extract and omit the dextrose...not familiar with the Ella/Stella hops (been out of the brewing hobby for quite a while), can't comment on the hops...also assuming you have an ale yeast of some sort on hand?

Thanks Fuelish.

Yeah I have safale US-05 on hand.
I was thinking of getting another kilo gram of unhopped liquid malt just to be sure and only use 250g of the dextrose.

FYI, Ella is a floral hop grown in Australia. Its floral with a spicy finish.
http://www.hops.com.au/products/ella

Thanks again mate.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Home Brew mobile app

I think amber/pale is exactly where this is going to end up. Try using a recipe calculator, plug your LME in and see where you are. If you use the Crystal and Chocolate as steeping grains, they aren't going to contribute to the gravity.

Careful with chocolate. A little bit will significantly darken your final product.

I once brewed a beer called "Remnants Ale" because it was odds and ends I had lying around.

If you use the Crystal and Chocolate as steeping grains, they aren't going to contribute to the gravity.

Sure they will. It is sugar you are extracting from them. They may be mostly unfermentable, but they will contribute to the gravity. 250 grams (0.55 lbs) will add about 10 gravity points, or .002 in 5 gallons.

Thanks Topher.
Ill punch it into Beer Smith and see what I get.
I think you are right with the chocolate malt. It might darken it and look like a brown nut ale (which wouldn't be all bad)

If I end up using it, ill go another 1KG of LME and be adventurous with the hop selection I have.

Last brew I did was similar as I had a few old Mr Beer American light pre hopped kits lying around. After a bit of wheat malt, golden syrup and cascade hops, it came out awesome.
Sometimes the scraps make the better brews

Ill keep you posted on my progress. thank you guys

Sure they will. It is sugar you are extracting from them. They may be mostly unfermentable, but they will contribute to the gravity. 250 grams (0.55 lbs) will add about 10 gravity points, or .002 in 5 gallons.

True. I should have said "won't contribute *much*. Thanks.

Picked up another amber malt liquid and calculated what im likely to get. Looking at an abv of 5% per 21 ltrs and a pale amber color. Hoping it tastes good haha

Back