Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > brewing milk stout from extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
irishrover32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default brewing milk stout from extract

hi there

im looking at brewing a milk stout, iv only brewed two beers which was a while back so iv got some questions. my plan is to use coopers brew master irish stout and add a pound lactose sugar instead of the recommended sugar and use safale-04 yeast. id also like to add some vanilla to the brew. my goal for this is to make a sweet creamy (low carbonated/ sort of unfizzy) stout. when and how should i add the lactose sugar and what form of vanilla should i use ie beans or extract and when should i add it? does this sound like a viable plan or is it silly, i usually just follow the directions on the can exactly but im trying to get a bit more involved

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
irishrover32
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

ok scratch that whole message above, i didn have a clue what i was talking about, i still dont really but hey, so what about this instead. could anyone give me advice on what to change in this kit to make a milk stout ie how to add the lactose and how much and what to change??

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/hbc...es-p-1729.html

Old 08-24-2013, 01:47 AM   #3
ggriffi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Why don't you try this extract kit? I have done this a couple of times and its pretty good.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=12734

Primary #1 - LH Milk Stout Clone
Primary #2 - EdWorts Apfelwine
Primary #3 - BM Centennial Ale

Old 08-24-2013, 02:12 AM   #4
Randy_Bugger
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Take any stout kit and add 8oz. of lactose sugar for a 5 gallon batch. That's USA gallons, mate.

Bam! Milk stout.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:31 AM   #5
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Just toss the lactose in at the end of your boil.

When I add vanilla, I use beans slice them open lengthwise soak the in vodka, I use just enough to cover them. I do this brewday. Then I will let them soak until I either secondary or will add the vanilla flavored vodka at bottling time with priming sugar or just put in keg before racking.

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 08-24-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
irishrover32
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggriffi View Post
Why don't you try this extract kit? I have done this a couple of times and its pretty good.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=12734
that would be perfect as the left hand milk stout is kind of what im going for i had while in america and it was so good but sadly i dont think that company ship to ireland which is where im based

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilSwillBasementBrews View Post
Just toss the lactose in at the end of your boil.

When I add vanilla, I use beans slice them open lengthwise soak the in vodka, I use just enough to cover them. I do this brewday. Then I will let them soak until I either secondary or will add the vanilla flavored vodka at bottling time with priming sugar or just put in keg before racking.
do you add the lactose as well as the malt extract? and what do you mean by secondary i see it everywhere on here?

Old 08-26-2013, 03:52 AM   #7
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrover32

that would be perfect as the left hand milk stout is kind of what im going for i had while in america and it was so good but sadly i dont think that company ship to ireland which is where im based

do you add the lactose as well as the malt extract? and what do you mean by secondary i see it everywhere on here?
Secondary is the term for racking your beer from the primary fermenter into a second fermenting vessel for clearing, adding of spices or dry hopping, or adding more fermentables for a "second fermentation" such as a fruit addition. Some will use a secondary others will just bottle/keg from the primary fermenter. Lots of views in which way works better. Just go with what process you're comfortable with.

Yes the lactose would be an addition to the malt extract. The lactose is simply milk sugar that is added for adding sweetness. It is mostly unfermentable sugars that will remain after fermentation. You would still need the fermentable sugars from the malt extract to push up the gravity of the wort for your beer.

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 08-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Simple Milk Stout Recipe.
8oz Black malt
8oz Chocolate malt
6lb Amber LME