Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Adding grape concentrate to tripel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #21
joshrosborne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Whoops, I missed a key word there: I WON'T need a tertiary.

If I would have added the grapes to the secondary, I'd probably have to rack again at some point. Now I can skip it if I'm adding it to the primary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 12:53 AM   #22
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrosborne View Post
Whoops, I missed a key word there: I WON'T need a tertiary.

If I would have added the grapes to the secondary, I'd probably have to rack again at some point. Now I can skip it if I'm adding it to the primary.
I thought you were adding grape concentrate, not grapes. The concentrate shouldn't leave anything behind.

If you are going to add the Brett in a secondary fermenter, you probably want to rack the beer while some of the sacc is still active. As the sacc flocs out and dies, it provides food for the Brett.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #23
joshrosborne
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Another brief update:

A little over a week ago I added the sauvignon blanc concentrate to the tripel. On 3/31 I racked into a carboy with the Brett B starter. It's currently in my fermentation chamber at 72 degrees for what will probably be a long haul. I'll give it a month or so before checking for taste/gravity.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #24
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrosborne View Post
It's currently in my fermentation chamber at 72 degrees for what will probably be a long haul. I'll give it a month or so before checking for taste/gravity.
72*F is fine, but it's even a bit on the warm side. feel free to drop the temps a little if you need to (and save on electricity). mid-60's is fine for brett. supposedly russian river ages all their bugs in the low 60's. no real difference, whatever works for you :-)

hopefully you took a gravity reading just before racking to secondary so you have a solid idea where the brett is starting from.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small second runnings beer
Aging: oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 04-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #25
joshrosborne
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I just had it at 72 from the last couple of beers I fermented in it (Belgian pale and the tripel that has the Brett now). I used WY 3522, which I find is too mild in the 60's. I'll turn it down b/c there's really no reason is needs to be that high. I also have a sour stout with Roeselare fermenting in there also which is good from 65-85.

Gravity immediately before racking was 1.012.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #26
DAlexander
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I like this thread, interested to see how this turns out. But I would have dropped that concentrate in at flame out. You're adding alot of sugar to secondary.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #27
joshrosborne
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAlexander View Post
I like this thread, interested to see how this turns out. But I would have dropped that concentrate in at flame out. You're adding alot of sugar to secondary.
I actually added it in primary and let the concentrate ferment mostly out before racking. The sacch got it back down to 1.012 even after the concentrate before the Brett had to deal with it.

Primary: Lacto Brevis Berliner Weisse
Secondary/Aging: ECY01 Sour #1, ECY01 Sour #2, The Yeast Bay Melange Sour
In bottles: Mango sour, Lambic, Brett tripel, Sour brown, Brett L/B Porter
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Two Hearted clone, Jamil's Sweet Stout with Raspberries

Old 04-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #28
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 254

had the OP added the juice directly to secondary, there is more than enough yeast in there to ferment it out completely.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small second runnings beer
Aging: oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 04-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #29
joshrosborne
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

If I had to do it again, I probably would have added it to the secondary. For some reason, I thought it was just going to be crushed, packed grapes, not the liquid it was. I have no idea why I thought that, but whatever. I doubt it made much, if any difference.

Shot of the tripel on the left, sour stout on the right. Obviously no activity from the Brett yet, but I'll post some pictures once there is some.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #30
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Muscat grape juice has been used in DFH's Midas Touch since the original recipe found in King Midas' tomb from over 2,700 years ago. Not an ale,not a wine,but some combo of both. There's a thread at the top of the page in one of those forums about it.
This.

And to me without trying to recreate or brew the Midas touch, a Tripel seems PERFECT to add grape concentrate to.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply