adding flavors to a west coast pale ale possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mg1293

Reaction score
Hey guys!
New to brewing here and wondering, if possible, can I add my own flavors to a mr beer west coast pale ale? I've heard that the beer comes out tasteless and not that great. It's my first batch and wanted to put some spice in it ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin spice, vanilla extract and allspice. Obviously these flavors are for a pumpkin spiced beer. It's my favorite and wanted to see if I could make my own batch. Thanks!

You could do that but I would cut down on the late addition hops ( if there are any ) so those flavors don't compete with the spices. It would also be best to add these items in secondary ( one of the only times I do secondary ) or at bottling ( make a tincture with vodka and add to bottling bucket ). If you add to the primary, you'll drive off a lot of the aromatics.

Welcome to the hobby ( an obsession for some :) )

Just go easy...you can always add more spice at bottling, but if you over do it, the only way to get them out would be to blend with another beer. This is why it's good to do at bottling...you can dose it.

Adding at bottling.....won't that make the beer cloudy or have sediments at the end of conditioning ? Sorry for the newb questions. Happy brewing y'all

You would add them 7-10 days before bottling. I add them right to the primary then use a paint strainer bag wrapped around my auto-siphon to remove the suspended hops when it's time to bottle.

Latest posts

Back