2 Cans of Coopers IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rounder999

Reaction score
Ok, I ended up with 2 cans of Cooper's Brewmaster IPA. I have on hand 4# of LDME, 12# of Dextrose, 2# Maltodextrin, and 4 oz of Cascade pellets. What can I do with this?

Well the obvious thing to do would be make a coopers IPA... Sorry I had to. :)

I probably wouldnt use and of the sugars but I would probably add some of the cascades at about 10 minutes before flame out and dry hop with about an oz or so.

I would think about 1/2 oz or so. It is mostly going to be aroma at that point so it will not be bad to use too. At least in my opinion. I think this sounds decent but you may want to wait and maybe someone else will give a second opinion.

I say, make two 5 gallon batches. One can of coopers, 2lbs of the DME, and enough sugar to bring it up to gravity for 5 gal. Dry hop with 2oz of the hops. OR, throw in 1oz of the hops at around 15 min and then dry hop with the other ounce. Of course if you can do 10 gallon batches just double everything.

It may also be wise to replace the dextrose with more DME.

Ok, I ended up with 2 cans of Cooper's Brewmaster IPA. I have on hand 4# of LDME, 12# of Dextrose, 2# Maltodextrin, and 4 oz of Cascade pellets. What can I do with this?

Follow the directions and you'll be fine. DO NOT boil these Coopers kits!

Although I do agree not to use much dextrose, for these kits and the dry yeast it requires at least a bit to help the yeast grow. I always add 1 cup dextrose to the kits (plus malt extract).

You've probably already done something with the kits, but I agree with the earlier post that doing at least a partial boil with some hop additions and dry hopping can really transform one of these kits. I'm part way through a batch of IPA from the same kit with a few enhancements, and I cannot believe it came from a kit.

My buddy and I had one of the Coopers IPA kits a couple of months back and came up with a plan to do a partial boil with a bunch of hops additions, followed by dry hopping. Brew day comes around and it turns out both the u-brew places in town were closed, so no hops. Anyway, after a long search, we ended up getting a paper bag (~4oz) of rather old-looking, generic whole leaf hops from a health food store. No idea what variety, but we threw a big handful in at the start of the boil, then smaller handfuls throughout the boil. Used the dry yeast from the kit, then threw in a couple an ounce of hops to dry hop in the secondary. We did a red ale kit the same way without the dry hopping, and it's also a big improvement over just following the kit instructions.

You should boil it for at least 15 minutes. That will not boil anything away except maybe some hop aroma. Adding in all those hops will give it a much better flavor and aroma anyway.

I have done the Coopers IPA four times with excellent results. Only minor variations and I always steep extra grains and add hops. Here is one of the recipes:

Brew:

Coopers Brewmaster IPA LME Kit
Crosby & Baker Weyermann CaraHell 2 row Barley Malt 1lb (blended, put in mesh) steep 160 DegF 30 mins
Muntons Light DME 1lb
Corn Sugar 500g
Brown Sugar 1/4 cup
Kit yeast

60 min two fresh sticks of cinnamon
60 min 0.5 oz Crosby & Baker Cascade Pellets
30 min 0.5 oz Crosby & Baker Cascade Pellets
20 min 0.5 oz Crosby & Baker U.K. Kent Golding Pellets
10 min 0.5 oz Crosby & Baker U.K. Kent Golding Pellets
5 min 0.3 oz AHS Yakima Golding Hops
5 min capsule of AHS BrewVint Yeast Fuel

60 min boil in 2.5 gal tap. I strained the wort using my funnel and large ss strainer which caught the cinnamon sticks and the bulk of the hops. Cooled wort to 80 DegF in about 10 mins using the bin and two bags of ice. Added remainder of water (3 gal) and just tossed the yeast from the pack dry after giving it a good stir. Put piece of 2X4 under edge of ferment bucket to bias the sediment to one side.

Mon April 7, 2008 - descent bubbling this afternoon.

Sat April 12, 2008 - racked to secondary fermenter.

Sat April 19, 2008 - Bottled using 5oz Corn sugar and 2 oz raw sugar. Color is very good as is the taste. Looking forward to this.

Wed April 23, 2008 - While batching the Lager tonight, I put one of the IPA bottles into the freezer and got it really cold. Then gave it a try - wonderful. I could drink this right now - not green at all. My best yet!

yeah I would say make 2 batches. use each can with 2# of DME. and you'll be all set :) Personally I don't like super bitter beer, so I wouldn't even use the extra hops at all. I would save them for a later time.

Back