yet another F.G question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzelina

Reaction score
Made an extract Milk Stout kit 3.3 lb
Liquid Malt Extract - Dark 35 30 43.4%
3.3 lb Liquid Malt Extract - Pilsen 35 2 43.4%
6.6 lb Total
Steeping Grains
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
8 oz American - Caramel / Crystal 120L 33 120 6.6%
4 oz American - Dark Chocolate 29 420 3.3%
4 oz Belgian - Roasted Barley 30 575 3.3%
Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
0.5 oz mag Pellet 13.8 Boil 55 min 27.98
0.5 oz Cluster Pellet 8.1 Boil 10 min 6.09
Show Summary View
Other Ingredients
Amount Name Type Use Time
8 oz Lactose Flavor Other --
8 oz Maltodextrine Flavor Other --
Yeast
Danstar - Nottingham Ale Yeast
Attenuation (avg):
got 69 percent
Flocculation:
High
Optimum Temp:
57 - 70 °F
Starter:
No
Fermentation Temp:
68 °F
The O.G> was 1.058, in fermenter for 19 days. Moved to keg, there was some star san foam in my sample for taking the gravity reading, but it looked good. after the transer to keg. I looked at the hydrometer again and it was reading 1.018. Since it's kegged and cold sitting on CO2 I did not think it and issue. Would letting it warm and seeing if he gravity drops be helpful or cause more harm then good. I guess if it stays cold and did not finish it really wont over hurt. Thoughts?
-

It's most likely done fermenting. With that much dark extract, as well as the specialty malts, lactose and maltodextrine that FG is to be expected. A milk stout is supposed to have a higher FG.

Thanks zachattack I was leaning that way too figuring it would make for a better mouth feel, but the recipe figures say it should have finished around 1.011. Always nice to have someone confirm your ideas. The beer never really had a very strong fermentation I think the yeast was older. I re-hydrated it, should have made a starter.

1.011 would be a bit low for a milk stout, the BJCP range is 1.012-1.024. You want it to be sweet and full bodied, that's the style. But really, there's a ton of unfermentables in there so it's to be expected.

I brewed a milk stout last fall and had the same problem... I thought. Mine finished at 1.018 and was just fine. It is from the lactose which keeps the gravity a little higher.

It will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back