New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Wort Dilution During/After Fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
JonnyComet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Wort Dilution During/After Fermentation?

I have been having a bit of trouble hitting my final numbers. I can’t quite dial in my efficiency and volumes. Most of the time I get 70-75% efficiency and sometimes I hit my volumes perfect and sometimes I’m off a bit.

Last week I brewed a Scottish Ale with a planned OG of 1.052 and 5.5 gallons into the fermentor. Well, I only ended up with 5 gallons going into the bucket at 1.057. I just figured I made some mistakes along the way, took more specific volume notes, and pitched the yeast.

I was thinking about it in the shower this morning and I realized I could have topped off a ½ gallon and possibly diluted the wort to the planned OG. I popped the numbers in Beersmith and sure enough, if I would have topped off the fermenter to get a final volume of 5.5 gallons, I would have diluted the wort to the planned OG of 1.052.

Long way around to the question; but can I top off the fermentor now? After almost a week of fermenting?

I guess I’m not too concerned about the ABV, I am just sort of bummed that I didn’t think of this on brew day.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
Nanobru
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You can dilute at anytime. Just make sure the water is clean and pure. The best option would be bottled and distilled

Old 02-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
JonnyComet
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks for posting an answer. The more I think about it, the more I think I am just going to take my lumps and try not to make the same mistake next time.

-Jonny

Quick Reply