When to add Amylase?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CS223

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm BIAB brewing the Pottstown Common using shadows69 variation. There's 2# of flaked corn in the recipe so I thought it best to add some AE. Brew U says to add the AE to the mash, Beersmith says to add it when the yeast is pitched. Which would be best?

Recipe:

Yuengling Lager Clone 2.51

6#s 2row
2#s maize
.5#s Munich
.8#s 80L
.5#s carapils

1/2oz Clusters @60min
1/2oz Cascade @30min
Saflager dry S23 yeast
Mash in at 150 for 90mins
Mash out at 168 for 10mins

You won't have any problems with only 2 pounds of corn. Your malt will have enough enzymes to convert. Just do a 90 min mash to be sure. I would add it to the fermenter only if it doesn't finish up dry enough.

You won't have any problems with only 2 pounds of corn. Your malt will have enough enzymes to convert. Just do a 90 min mash to be sure. I would add it to the fermenter only if it doesn't finish up dry enough.

Agreed. That much 2-row can convert the rest of the grist no problem.

Worry about adding amylase when your brew is over 40% specialty and adjunct. Even when i did a 70/30 pilsner/rice brew, a 90 minute mash was all it took.

Back