Two gallon cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noskunk

Reaction score
I apologize in advance for the complete noob question but here it goes. I just purchaed a 2 gallon Igloo cooler in Walmart and plan on trying my hand at my first partial mash. I started this hobby by doing a number of coopers kits but eventually wanted more of a challenge and so moved on to steeping grain + extract brewing, which I've been doing for the past several years. I really enjoy the results I've been getting with my steeping+extract process but feel the need to at least try a partial mash. My question is, in using the round 2 gallon cooler, which has a spigot at the botton, do I need to place my grains in a grain bag or can they just go straight into the cooler. My worry is that if the grains are not in a grain bag, when trying to drain the liquid from the spigot it will become plugged with the grain. Any advice? Again, sorry for the simple beginners question and if this has been answered a thousand times, just point me in the right direction and I can read about it on my own. Thanks.

I only did 1 PM before jumping to AG, but I used a 2 gallon round cooler as well. I did use a grain bag to line the cooler before putting in the grains and the water. Just a word of warning, if you stick with the spigot that's on the cooler to drain the wort IT GETS HOT!

I assume the spigot comes out, if not forget everything I'm about to type....

Take the spigot out, get a rubber stopper from your LHBS with a hole in the middle, and a good 10 feet of tubing that fits snuggly through it. Then go to wal-mart or any store, and get the lint traps that would go on dryer vents, it's meshy, and a clamp. run that hose through the stopper put mesh over hose inside of cooler and clamp it down, make sure the stopper is tight, and boo-yah!

Just make sure the hose is higher than the rubber stopper when filling with water.

Man... that sounds a lot simpler than putting a ball valve, nipple, and manifold in a small cooler. I'm glad you posted this. I think this might be my solution to making all-grain nano batches.

I have a 5-gallon cooler I do my partial mashes in and still just use a grain bag. Works fine for me. I bought a ball valve setup before my last batch though because holding that spigot valve open made my thumb ache. I'll probably be upgrading to a manifold soon though.

I have a 5-gallon cooler I do my partial mashes in and still just use a grain bag. Works fine for me. I bought a ball valve setup before my last batch though because holding that spigot valve open made my thumb ache. I'll probably be upgrading to a manifold soon though.

I bet you could slip a ball valve in there and still use the grain bag instead of a manifold.

That's exactly what I'm doing. But I'm going to do a manifold as well soon.

I just built a 5-gallon MLT for lower gravity 5-gallon batches and I put a ss braid manifold in it. I haven't conducted my test yet to see how much liquid will be left behind when I drain it. I'm expecting a good bit more to be left behind than my 48-qt coleman cooler with the copper manifold. I think the copper manifold system is a little more efficient at draining. When I tested that MLT, I only had 8 ounces of liquid left behind.

I think I'm going to go with copper rather than braid because it should be pretty easy with what I have.

Man... that sounds a lot simpler than putting a ball valve, nipple, and manifold in a small cooler. I'm glad you posted this. I think this might be my solution to making all-grain nano batches.

Works great with my 5 gal Gott. Never had a stuck mash and it always runs clean, love it. I know theres a DIY out there somewhere, if need be I'm sure I could whip something up quick...

I've used a 2 gallon for small pms before, you can mash up to 4 pounds of grain in a 2 gallon un modified cooler.

I put a folding steamer in the bottom to lift the grain above the drain spigot. The I rubberband a large grain bag inside to set the grain in.

steamer.jpg

One of these.

4050L.jpg

(unscrew or break off the center post)

Using the strainer lifts the grainbag above the level of the spigot and prevent stuck sparges.

A piece of hose with a small slit can be wedged to drain the cooler.

draining.jpg

I've used a 2 gallon for small pms before, you can mash up to 4 pounds of grain in a 2 gallon un modified cooler.

Revvy, I picked up a 2-gallon cooler at Walmart this afternoon. It has a screw-on top. I can't tell in your photos if you have the same configuration or not. If you do, will the top screw on over the grain bag?

Revvy, I picked up a 2-gallon cooler at Walmart this afternoon. It has a screw-on top. I can't tell in your photos if you have the same configuration or not. If you do, will the top screw on over the grain bag?

Mines a screw on as well..what you have to do is pull the drain bag as low down as you can and try to rubberband it below the threads...don't sweat it id you can, and have to rubebrband the grain bag to the threads, just twist it on and off carefully, and try to use the thinnest rubberbands possible.

Ok... I think my mind is not functioning at 100% at the moment :) This Redhook ESB isn't bad;)

After I stir up the grain in the bag inside the cooler, I'll tie off the bag INSIDE the cooler rather than draping it over the top and screwing the lid on over the bag. I would just unband the bag and repeat the process for sparging...

Ok... I think my mind is not functioning at 100% at the moment :) This Redhook ESB isn't bad;)

After I stir up the grain in the bag inside the cooler, I'll tie off the bag INSIDE the cooler rather than draping it over the top and screwing the lid on over the bag. I would just unband the bag and repeat the process for sparging...

Why do it that way???? WHy tie it and untie it??? If you rubber band it like in my picture...leaving it open...It makes it easier to sparge and stuff...and you don't have to fucq with touhing 150 plus degree grain and water...I know from experience fishing in my larger mash tun to re attach the braid...it is not pleasant...I walked around with a bright red claw hand for about a week..

THis is a better illustration..it's from taking an iodine test.

23.jpg

The bag is open and folded over the threads and banded. That way you can stir if you need to

The bag is open and folded over the threads and banded. That way you can stir if you need to[/QUOTE said:
I think this is what I asked about originally. I was curious if you could screw the lid back on over the mesh bag, so that definitely tells me that you can.

I guess it's time for me to shut up and brew. I now have three functional MLTs (12g / 5g / 2g) and haven't brewed my first AG yet. Saturday is the day though...

I have spent too much time reading around here I think. At least I'm comfortable with what I'm gonna be doing when I do brew :) The only unknowns are whether or not i'll hit my temps in the mash, but I think i'll be able to manage that as well...

I do partials in a 3G cooler using a paint strainer bag. As you can see from the pic below the bag simply folds over the top rim of the cooler and the elastic part ends up below the threads of the cooler lid.

I just screw the lid on normally and cover the cooler with a towel. I've only used the method twice and i'm still trying to work out the kinks in the system but i definitely don't think you should tie the bag.
IMG_3949.jpg

He probably has what appears to be stuck sparges.....that's becasue the grainbag often blocks the back end of the spigot. Hence my suggesting lifting the bag above it with the steamer. It acts like a false bottom.

He probably has what appears to be stuck sparges.....that's becasue the grainbag often blocks the back end of the spigot. Hence my suggesting lifting the bag above it with the steamer. It acts like a false bottom.

That's what I run into with mine, and why I'm going to put in a manifold. It start out with a strong flow, but when I get about halfway through draining it it slows right down to a very slow tickle or less.

Fortunately, I have a push-on lid rather than a screw-top. So, I'll pull the side of the grain bag up and over the side and then push the lid on to hold it in place and that keeps it off the hole but still causes the most of the wort to flow through the grain and grain bag on it's way out.

Actually after 3 brews I haven't had a stuck sparge at all. Flow has been fine and I batch sparge twice.

My trouble is in holding a temperature. I find it'll drop below 150 so I'll add some hot water, leave it, then check it at 30 min and whoops the temp is almost 160.

The kind of kinks i need to work out are of the consistent temperature variety.

Actually I bought the equipment listed in flyguy's "cheap mlt conversion" thread. It would be great to have the spigot in there because my fingers get tired holding the current one open.

I tried to install it last night but i need an extra washer or two because my Bubba Keg is different than those Igloo coolers.

Update: Thank you for the very helpful input. Given the heat issues and "thumb fatigue" problem with the 2 gallon cooler stock spigot I went and got a ball valve and the various connections and installed them tonight. Works like a charm. I will be using the vegetable steamer insert suggested above (have one in the cubbard) and a grain bag. As a side note, went to my closest "Big Box Store" for the valve and connections and the plumbing guy there was majorly put out that I asked for help finding something and couldn't walk away fast enough. After his help, I opted not to buy anything and left and went to my towns local ACE hardware where the owner himself helped me. He thought it was so interesting what I was trying to do and got all the parts together for me and even made some modification suggestions. He even commented that his brother has been making beer for years and if I needed any brewing tips he'd be happy to talk with me. (Disclaimer: I am not affiliated in any way with "The Big Box Store" or with ACE hardware.) After this, my belief in supporting local small business' over giant conglomerates has been upheld in spades.

Latest posts

Back