Trying to achieve a flavor profile.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbfan101

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

So I am trying to give a toasty, nut/bread and caramelish profile to my brown ale, and this is what I am working with.

7 lbs 2 row pale malt
1.5 lbs crystal 60L
12 oz brown malt--> I might bump this down to 8 oz
8 oz victory malt
4 oz of black patent malt(for color)
4 oz of toasted oats

Do you think this would create that sort of profile?

I think some biscuit would help out. I am assuming that you are brewing 5G, so ~8oz should do the trick. I would swap some % of the CR60 with 75/120/150/Special B.

I think some biscuit would help out. I am assuming that you are brewing 5G, so ~8oz should do the trick. I would swap some % of the CR60 with 75/120/150/Special B.

Thanks for the reply and the suggestions! I've taken your advice, and this is what I have done with it:

7 lbs pale malt
1.5 lbs crystal 120 L
12 oz brown malt
8 oz biscuit malt
8 oz victory malt
4 oz toasted oats

I completely eliminated crystal 60 L, so I didn't have to buy as many grains. After using the 120L, I figured it would be safe to lose the black patent malt, since I was only using it for color. How does this look to you?

I would drop the CR 120 to a MAX of 12 oz. CR 60 has a nice, pure sweetness to it, where the 120 has more of a toffee flavor. Together, they get that candy-caramel sweetness. I like how you took out the black malts, I think that is a good call.

I see the oats as a preference item, and I use them in 8 oz increments. I would probably nix them from this recipe, unless you are looking for a particularly silky and chewy brown ale. You are going to get a bunch of body from the specialty grains.

Haha, alright. This is what I got now:

7 lbs pale malt
1 lbs crystal 60 L
12 oz brown malt
8 oz crystal 120 L
8 oz biscuit malt
8 oz victory malt

How does this look? I think you're right about the oats. It probably doesn't need them with these specialty malts.

What did you use for hops in this recipe? I really like the look of this

I used fuggles. I wanted them because they were a little earthy. I'm going to scale those back next time because it came out a little too earthy. The beer itself had great body and flavor. I would definitely recommend this recipe. Just use a hop you enjoy.

Haha, alright. This is what I got now:

7 lbs pale malt
1 lbs crystal 60 L
12 oz brown malt
8 oz crystal 120 L
8 oz biscuit malt
8 oz victory malt

How does this look? I think you're right about the oats. It probably doesn't need them with these specialty malts.

Victory and biscuit are pretty much one in the same. I think Victory was originally a TMed name of a type of biscuit malt. Either way, the recipe looks good, much better w/o the patent malt. :mug:

Great knowledge here. Where can I learn more about recipe creation? I am a 5 bag all grain brewer and want to go to next level especially about hop types and amounts. I have 7 plants on year one. Thanks if you respond.

mtbfan101 said:
I used fuggles. I wanted them because they were a little earthy. I'm going to scale those back next time because it came out a little too earthy. The beer itself had great body and flavor. I would definitely recommend this recipe. Just use a hop you enjoy.

Amounts? Times? Fuggles make sense for this. It turned out well I bet

Could also sub marris otter for the 2 row.

PS I'm not nearly as high as everyone else is on Designing Great Beers. I found you can get 98% of what is contained in that book via internet searching. Also I was very disapointed in the books desciptions of ingredients. I was expecting more detailed explanations of what each malt/hop/yeast would lend to certian beers but descriptions are actually very vague I could go on but its OT...

Back