Temperature ramp with infusion mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llarian

Reaction score
I'm looking at a clone recipe that looks interesting, and the mashing information given says to start with a 148 degree infusion and ramp to 152 degrees.

Makes sense for starting with more beta-amalayse conversion and then moving towards the alpha range, but what's the best approach for doing this sort of things with an infusion mash?

It seems like I could treat it like a step mash and start with, say, .75 qt/lb 160 degree water (just a guess, don't have my beersmith software at work), then add water at 166 degrees to end up at 1.25qt/lb, but I'm not sure about timing of this or even how long to rest at 148 degrees.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dylan

You could probably use a steam infuser to ramp the temp up to what you want or mash in a heatproof container and use your burner to ramp the temp up, or you can float the tun in a larger container with hotter water in it and use that to more gently raise the temp. Finally you can use an electrical immersion heater, there are small ones made for heating coffee and Home Depot sells big dogs for electric water heaters but they aren't fully submersible.

A 4 degree ramp? I don't think you'll see much benefit from this at all. I'd just split the difference and do a 150F mash for 60 minutes. However, if you were a stickler for accuracy you could do two or more additions of boiling water to ramp your temp up without affecting your mash ratio too much. Just add it slowly while stirring to avoid any enzyme denaturation and you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back