Summit went wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgarr

Reaction score
Hi all,

Need a bit of advice please, I made a complete balls of hopping a brew 5 days ago. Recipe called for
25g Summit at the start of the hour boil
40g raku @ 30 mins
30g raku @ 50 mins
30g raku @ 0 mins

What I added was:

25g raku the start of the hour boil
40g summit @ 30 mins
30g summit @ 50 mins
30g summit @ 0 mins

Damn silver foil hop packets are identical! (lesson learned) The summit has mellowed out considerably but still a bit too much, is there a way of toning it down or will it mellow out a bit more? Any advice greatly appreciated, this is my 10th AG brew and the first real cock up!

Good news! Hop flavors and aromas are pretty much guaranteed to fade (fairly quickly) over time. The bitterness takes a bit longer IME, but will also mellow. I'd put that batch in a dark, cool closet and check it out in September. We all mess up, so don't sweat it--at least this one is pretty easy to fix.

On the plus side, sometimes a mistake turns out great!

Cheers pirawolf, I'll do that, it really has buckets of potential!

That sounds amazing, good thing about summit is its clean bitterness. Should work out wonderfully.

You can always brew another batch that has the same grain bill, but under-hop it. When the new batch is done, blend the two batches. I have brewed super bitter beers few times, and blending has worked for me.

Back