Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Successful Dry Hopping Techniques?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2010, 06:43 AM   #91
HighGravity
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

"tits up" APA sounds like a popular brew, I'd like to try it.

A question for those who know gelatin:

I have a massively bitter IPA that has been dryhopped in the secondary for more than a week, and I need to have it ready to drink in 2 weeks for a local homebrewers club. Would you recommend putting gelatin into it immediately to drop the yeast and hops to the bottom, or will this take too long? I was thinking the particles from these whole hops would stay in the final product if I just cold crashed for 1 day then bottle conditioned for 12 days, but it appears that adding glatin is not as simple when dry hopping.

P.S. none of my beers have received accolades yet at the local club

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #92
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Very good question.

I have had problems with gelatin and dry hopped beers in the past.

I do have to admit some of the problems were my fault. I over dosed the beer with one tablespoon of gelatin. That amount certainly cleared the beer up very quickly but it stripped out most of the delicious hop aroma.

I recently brewed up a "tribute" to Pliny the Elder with 3 oz of dry hops for 14 days a 1 oz for 3 days. I racked into a tertiary vessel and dropped the temp to 40 F. There still was quite a large amount of suspended material floating about after 3 days.

I then boiled up a cup of water, allowed it to cool to 140 or so and added 1/4 teaspoon of gelatin. I stirred it up and allowed it to blend/cool for about 10 minutes. I added that to the cool beer. It has now been 4 days with the gelatin. The suspended material has mostly settled out. There is still some haze. I will let the beer sit for another couple of days and then keg it with some polyclar to hopefully reduce the haze.

I just pulled a sample. While the flavor is still there, once again the intense aroma has diminished. This may just be my techniques, but be careful with gelatin if you want to keep the massive aroma that dry hopping can give.

I realize that some people have had good luck using tablespoon amounts of gelatin. I do not seem to have their luck.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #93
oldschool
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can't speak for gelatin since I have not used any myself but I know that Russian river uses gelatin at the pub and filters at the production brewery on Pliny. I would possibly suggest getting a coarse filter like the plate filters for wine. Just my thoughts.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:26 AM   #94
HighGravity
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice! I'm just going to take the milk and vegetables out of the fridge tonight and crash cool before bottling tomorrow. Having only dry hopped a few time, I always think the floating hops seeds in the glass are cool but somehow its not fashionable.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:52 PM   #95
fc-runner
Recipes 

Default Cold crashing "tits-up"

Well I had success in getting the beer clear. As suggested used a sanitized paint strainer to move the beer to the secondary. Five days later when the beer was around 1.018 cold-crashed it and now after 5 days at 40 degrees in the fridge its beautiful(nice and clear). Cannot wait to get it into the cornelius keg this weekend.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:20 AM   #96
TheBroonery
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've got a batch in the secondary right now which I'm dry-hopping, first time trying this method. I put the whole hops in a muslin bag (sanitized the bag in boiling water first) and stuffed it into the neck of the carboy, then racked into it letting the wort flow right onto the hop bag. It's just floating at the top now, I'll be bottling it this weekend.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:19 PM   #97
benharper13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

if you don't have a secondary can you just put the dry hops in your primary? If so how long should I wait to put them in? Or do I need to go spend the money to get a primary

Old 09-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #98
benharper13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

sorry I meant secondary

Old 09-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #99
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by benharper13 View Post
if you don't have a secondary can you just put the dry hops in your primary? If so how long should I wait to put them in? Or do I need to go spend the money to get a primary
Same question.

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 09-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #100
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I just drop them into the primary, no bag or anything. As long as fermentation is over (this is key), then you can add them at pretty much any point, except probably in the bottle.

Quick Reply