Stirring wort durring boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brainfrz

Reaction score
I will be doing my first AG batch this weekend- John Palmer suggests stirring extract partial boils to prevent from scorching... Is this an issue with all grain or do I not even bother stirring from once I've collected my wort from the mash tun to cooling? Reason I ask is it's not noted in How to Brew in the AG section but in extract.

Sorry if this is a silly question- just want to make sure I am doing things right.

Not necessary during the boil. But I do like to stir it occasionally while bringing it up to a boil.

I think he is referring to stirring the partial mash boil when you add the extract portion to the boil so it doesn't sink to the bottom and scorch. Since there's no extract in all grain you don't need to stir unless some of your hops get stuck to the side of your kettle.

Yeah the stirred part for extract is only when adding it - to prevent clumps with DME and scorching (both DME and LME). Once you're boiling there is no stirring.

Rev.

Latest posts

Back