Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > step infusion (Kolsch beer) question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
Brocster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default step infusion (Kolsch beer) question

I don't have my HERMS set up yet so I only do single infusion at this time. I make 10 gallon batches with 15 gallon HLT and BK pots and a 70 qt cooler. I am brewing a classic Kolsch recipe this weekend and would really like to get as close to style as possible. Looking to make a dry and clear beer. Sine I can't effectively raise mash temps, I was thinking of doing a two-step infusion. First infusion (dough-in) would try to shoot for a rest of 145 degrees. Probably use 1qt per pound of liqour. Second infusion would shoot for a mash temp of 155 using .5qts per pound. Total grain weight of 22 pounds. First rest 50 minutes, second rest 20. Does this sound like a good approach? Or would a single infusion at 148 be just as good with a thin mash and long temps? Thanks!

Bottled: Imperial Hefe, Saison, Apfelwein
Kegged: ESB, Foundation Stout, Brothers English IPA, Kolsch, Bavarian Hefe
Secondary: Abbey Dubbel
Primary: Imperial Cherry Bavarian Hefe, Imperial Cherry Brussel Abbey
On Deck: World Class ESB, BKRye
"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot." -- Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

The whole thick vs. thin mash thing has been discussed and many now believe it has no noticeable impact on fermentable sugars v. dextrins in homebrewing. However, the standard 1.25 qts/lb for a single infusion is pretty thick and probably became standard in homebrewing from the propensity of brewers brewing ales. Thinner is fine too and 1.5 to 2 qts/lb is what I usually do.

Anyway, if you did a single infusion, you want to go at least to 149°F because starch has trouble gelatinizing below that. Your step infusion sounds fine. You could go like 45 min. at 145°F and then 156-158°F for 30 minutes and get a relatively dry beer with some body.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 02-18-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I've done single infusion mashes for my two kolsches and I thought they were both pretty damn good.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply