Split Batch Mild: 60 Min Bittering vs FWH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelorax121

Reaction score
Hey, tomorrow I am getting ready to brew up 10 gals of Jamil's Mild from the most recent issue of BYO. I am then going to split the batch into two 7 gal kettles, using the standard 60 min bittering (East Kent Goldings) on one batch, and First Wort Hopping on the other 5 gals. So my question is, since I do not have a kettle that can hold 10 gal, what would be the best way to split the batch up evenly. I was thinking about just collecting the first runnings in one kettle, the second runnings in another and then mixing them in buckets until the volume and gravity are the same. Can anyone think of an easier way to do this? Also, I feel like this technique would mess up the FWH, since I would not be able to add the hops until I had the wort evenly distributed. Thanks in advance for the input, and I look forward to posting up the results when these are finished.

what about collecting the first runnings into the kettle - then pouring half into a bucket. Come time to collect your second runnings - you'll know exactly what your expected volumes will be - so just collect the first half into your bucket, and then the rest in your boil kettle. Seems like the simplest plan to me, and allows you to FWH in the boil kettle, while you wait for the second runnings.

I would put half the first runnings in each kettle, and on half of the rest in each one. This should balance them out and keep you from pouring and generally splashing around.

FWH is the balls!

<~~~~~See the pic on the left. It sure smells great.

David :)

Back