Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Seriously reconsidering going all grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 03:07 AM   #1
acefaser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Seriously reconsidering going all grain

Ok, so I am new to brewing and did an 5 gal extract brew for my first brew and decided to go all grain for my second batch. Holy moly this was a lot of work. I hope the finished product turns out. I think if I continue with all grain I will be doing 10 gal batches (little more work, lots more beer)

Please talk me into continuing this all grain thing. I hate for this extra money I have put into the equipment to go to waist.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 03:11 AM   #2
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Man, on my first all grain batch it took me 8 hours and i think I used every pot, pan, strainer, and spoon in my kitchen. It was a nightmare.

Many many batches later, I can knock it out in 4.5 hours from measuring grain to cleanup, and it's almost auto-pilot at this point (almost...).

It takes time and practice to get your process down. Don't be discouraged, it will only get easier from here. Spend some time reading up on all grain process and the science behind each step. Plan before each brew day, and take detailed notes during each brew session. You'll get it down, it just takes a little repetition.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:12 AM   #3
iparks81
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

With all grain you have many more options on types of grain and styles of beer you can brew. Some also say the beer is better when brewed from grain rather than Extract.
It's all up to how much your time is worth to you.

I love Alcohol, its in my Blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
go rinse your mind out with soap for even THINKING about tossing a batch of beer.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:17 AM   #4
shivalotus
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 7 Posts

I recently made the switch after doing extract for years. I'd never go back. The final product is worth the extra time. My first time took a while and it is still taking hours to do. I feel like I'm learning how to brew all over again, but this time without training wheels. Keep after it. Once you've done it over and over again it will feel simple. I'm getting more comfortable already and I just did my third AG tonight.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:22 AM   #5
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 106

stick with it.. you've brewed 2 whole batches of beer. yes AG takes more effort but the results of brewing beer from grain to glass is more than worth it. You'll be able to pick the grains to give you the flavor profile you want. Extract leaves you at the mercy of the company that made the extract. I just brewed my 5th AG beer. It gets easier each time you brew.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:23 AM   #6
Mermaid
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It's worth it. Especially if you have the ability to do your boil outdoors, keeps the madness in your kitchen to a minimum. I do small batches (4 gallons), AG, using the "Brew in a Bag" method. I'm still a noob and make mistakes, but with each batch I'm learning more and more. I have found it's also cheaper to go AG, and you have the ability to fine tune your recipe choosing different types of 2-row, etc.

-------------------------
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty!
an empty fermenter is a sad fermenter
Bottled: Nut brown ale, Bink blond clone (she's a bitter Belgian!) Belgian Wit, several other tasty beers that have since been consumed!
On deck: TBD

Old 03-14-2011, 03:29 AM   #7
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I have never brewed an extract batch, I know how daunting the whole process can be, but once you do it a few times it comes easier, you learn what steps you can streamline and what you can clean or prep while waiting during downtime, like while mashing or waiting for the next hop addition. when I start chilling the wort everything else is cleaned and put away, once it is drained into the carboy all thats left is cleaning the pump, and cleaning the keggle.

Don't give up yet, you just need to get into your brew groove and dial your process in.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 03-14-2011, 03:31 AM   #8
jaginger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
It's worth it. Especially if you have the ability to do your boil outdoors, keeps the madness in your kitchen to a minimum. I do small batches (4 gallons), AG, using the "Brew in a Bag" method. I'm still a noob and make mistakes, but with each batch I'm learning more and more. I have found it's also cheaper to go AG, and you have the ability to fine tune your recipe choosing different types of 2-row, etc.
ditto this. it sounds like you already bought equipment, but BIAB is really easy and REALLY cheap. stick with it. good times lie ahead.

FYI, I think doing extract can make fine beer, so that's not the point of my comment. To me it just feels a little more fun to start with grain.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:41 AM   #9
Northcalais40
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I'll give you the same advice my pal gave me before our first baby was born:

Don't worry it only takes a few minutes, and you won't feel a thing.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:13 AM   #10
Weizenwerks
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Brew extract until you master these three areas:

Boil
Fermentation
Yeast

There is so much happening during the boil, many take it for granted.

If you can't get those basic fundamentals down, you will only add variables with all grain.

Quick Reply